Solved Wii Emu Memory Logging

Bob

This may be the wrong place to ask about this, possibly even the wrong group of people, but I know some of you are real wizards, and you're all very friendly and helpful.

I have a question about scripting controller inputs to a Wii emulators logging values at a particular memory address.

I'm trying to replicate what this guy did for an N64 to GameCube adapter: https://electromodder.co.uk/index . Nintendo made these weird gamecube to N64 stick mappings for the VC games. They include a deadzone and expo curves. Going straight N64 stick data to GC stick data won't feel right. Simple deadzone elimination might feel okay, but I want to do better. I kinda want to try to get a full 1-to-1 mapping of the stick.

I loaded up Dolphin, ran Smash 64, and miraculously I was able to find the memory address where the remapped stick values were (using the cheat search tool in Dolphin). Unfortunately, I don't know any way to log these. My current workflow is, type stick input in the TAS input window, read the memory value, enter that into Excel, repeat. But I need to do that 256*256 or 65536 times. I can cut it down to 8192 if I assume 4 lines of symmetry (so I only need to look at one octant). I'd rather automate this.

Automating the controller is easy enough. At worst I just need to rig up a microcontroller board that emulates a gamecube controller and cycles through all the control inputs. I'm sure there's a much cleaner way to do this with software instead of hardware, but I'll need to make a board that pretends to be a GC controller eventually anyway to make my adapter.

Automating the logging of the memory is where I'm lost. I'd figure that Dolphin has some way of doing this hidden away, but I can't find it. I'm thinking I'll have to build my own version of Dolphin that logs for me, but that's a pain in the butt I'm hoping to avoid.

Is there anyone here that knows something better, and could point me in the right direction? Is there some totally different approach I've overlooked?

EDIT: WAHHH, just found an answer to my own question. Sorry, I swear I looked hard before asking. Someone made a Dolphin emulator with Lua scripting built in https://github.com/SwareJonge/Dolphin-Lua-Core

Last edited:

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
If the end goal is to use an N64 controller on your Mini N64/Wii, Why don't you customise an N64 controller using a GC+? that way you can use the GC+ configurator and adjust the ranges of the sticks in software.

Bob

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. I'm could get one of those GameCube sticks for the N64, and open it up to tap into the pot directly and use GC+. I could also get a crappy 3rd party controller that uses pots instead of the encoders of the stock controllers.

But for some things, and I know this is crazy, I like the crappy stock stick on the genuine N64 controller.

Plus, I do also have an N64, and like to consolidate controllers, instead of having 4 genuine and 4 for the Minii