Solved Wii Died...Power light goes green then dies

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Soooo, I just got all the software setup on my newly finished (or so I thought) Wii Laptopm and everything was working great. I just put SSBM on my USB stick and was about to test it out on Nintendont. I messed up the iso name so it didn't read in Nintendont so I fixed it on my pc and put the USB stick back in the wii. I plugged the wii in to the power supply. I hit the power button and the led went green and then it turned completely off. I've had the power brick trip out before so I left it unplugged and also tried another power supply and no dice. No Idea what I did...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Sounds like a short to me, or maybe a really poor connection? I would open it and check all the wiring

Portables
Sounds like a short to me, or maybe a really poor connection? I would open it and check all the wiring
Ok, I'll crack it open later today and see what I can find. The red light does come on and stay on when it is plugged in, not sure if that matters or not. But it goes completely off when I hit the power button.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That sounds very much like a short. I had the same problem with my Wii just last week.

Portables
That sounds very much like a short. I had the same problem with my Wii just last week.
Hopefully just a wire that needs to be covered or secured then. This is the 4th motherboard I've used on this project, I don't feel like using a 5th lol

Portables
Okay, I opened it up and I can't find any shorts. I uploaded a video showing the problem and what I've tried so far. Any help is very much appreciated.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you use a multimeter to check the Wii voltage lines for continuity to ground?

Portables
Did you use a multimeter to check the Wii voltage lines for continuity to ground?
I'm not real experienced with testing continuity to ground, usually for continuity I just check to make sure current is going across the board, although even that was across a tiny circuit in school, the wii seems more complicated (even if it isn't, it seems that way).

I used the continuity test to check for continuity between the ground on the voltage source (where the power plug is on the board) and the ground pin where the multi av port goes and it was okay. I also tested the ground lead on a few wires on the board (to the audio amplifier and a couple others) and they were okay. Are there any other specific points I need to test?

EDIT: The only test that failed continuity was the ground (or negative?) point for the wii sensor bar. On the pinout I referred to it had the sensor bar points labled as positive and negative, not positive and ground, so I assumed this was why. Unless it is supposed to be a ground. Either way I tried connecting that wire to ground instead and it didn't make any difference as to the problem I'm having.

Portables
Okay, great news. I found the problem. It was in fact a short, but not with any of my wiring. I took everything apart and was examining the bottom of the board and I found some solder paste had gotten on the LV5052 IC chip. It was bridging about half the pins together, I cleaned this up and voila! It works again. Glad the short didn't fry anything! I'll include a picture of the part and the bridged connection for reference. Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions!

A Mod can close this as SOLVED now, thanks!
IMG_20180524_082912.jpg