Worklog Wii + CRT Portable Combo (Melee Roadtrip Setup)

StRyX

Hello Portablizers,

I'm looking to get some advice and precautions on an idea that came to me before I jump into this. From my understanding, CRTs can store a very high voltage even after it has been turned off, and discharging said voltage can be dangerous and a bit nerve racking. However, my intention is to have as little interaction with the electron tube as possible. My main focus is the removal of the VHS functionality and replacing it with the Wii Portable itself (Gamecube Ports being where the VCR flap is now). Additionally removing any unnecessary weight and, if it's even remotely possible, having the option of running it on battery power, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

The slot hasn't functioned since I found this thing and one look inside will tell you why, but it seems to have its own compartment separated from the rest of the CRT which is promising.

As for the "portable" part of this build, it has a DC 12V port on the back as an alternative power source intended to be used by a car's cigarette lighter port which, funnily enough, inspired this idea.

You may be thinking that this isn't very "portable" when compared to other builds and I'd agree with you, but it's purpose is a bit unique. I play Super Smash Bros. Melee competitively, and one of the absolute necessities for play is the (near) removal of input lag, which CRTs happen to provide. Lugging around hundreds of these massive TVs is a common occurrence for major tournaments, so relative to that, I'd say this thing is pretty dam portable; and about as small it can get at just a 9'' screen and weighing 18 lbs.

I envision the finished product to be the ultimate Melee road trip setup for those extended drives to tournaments, or playing at the airport when your flight inevitably gets delayed. Unfortunately, I have no experience working inside one of these monstrosities, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Power Consumption: 69 Watts (AC 120V), 48 Watts (DC12V)

Manufacturer Specs: http://www.broksonic.com/MainCTSGT-2799CA.htm

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I've owned one of those CRTs before (probably still have it somewhere...) Depending on what else you may want to use the TV for, I'd suggest pulling out enough of the VCR components to fit the Wii inside there, and wire composite to either the front or back A/V in (if you use the back make sure to avoid the A/V out port!). As for power, you may need to put some kind of regulator between the input and the Wii itself (even if you use the original regulators) since car alternators will bring the "12v" closer to the 15-17v range.

As for safety when pulling these things apart, you'll want to discharge any hi voltage caps, along with any stray high voltage left in the flyback. To do this you'll want to aligator-clip a flathead screwdriver to a ground point (generally there are exposed metal wires around the tube you can clip to) and then shove the screwdriver under the suction cup at the top of the tube. Here is an example video. I have a strong feeling that you're gonna have to be around the tube parts even if you're not modifying it directly, so it's a good idea to know how.

StRyX

Definitely better to play it safe with an additional regulator, and that video is much better quality than what I've been finding for discharging. Thanks for the help. Will post an update soon.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So many good ideas floating in recently, this is my favourite so far.