Question Wii boot help

GC64

Portables
So I'm having some unexpected trouble with my OMGWTF trimmed wii with it not booting. It boots to a black screen, and sometimes the usb starts flashing but immediately stops. I trimmed this a while ago (6 months ago now) and it worked pretty much fine throughout that time, but now it is having this issue. I thought it might have been a U10 issue, so I replaced my old one with a new one (thanks @Shank!) but it still does the same thing. I just discovered, though, that ground is apparently shorted with 1v as it has a solid beep with continuity check, and it has a very slight beep when checking between ground and 1.15v. I have no idea why they're suddenly shorted.. I sanded the edges of my board again and they're still shorted. I double checked all of my connections to the board to make sure they weren't shorting to anything. Ideas?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What are your resistances on the 1v and 1.15v lines? They can sometimes be low enough to trigger continuity, even though they really aren't.

Are you able to boot into Priiloader? Wire up a reset switch if you haven't, and hold it down while you turn your Wii on. If that works, then it's probably a USB issue. How close are your regulators to your USB? If they're near your USB at all, they may be causing enough interference to the point where your Wii can't quite communicate with USB, I had that happen to me.

GC64

Portables
The voltage lines were definitely not shorted, and I know that because the wii booted to a black screen, so it had signal. And I forgot to mention that sometimes you would catch a glimpse of the portablizemii intro before it froze, which proves the U10 was doing it's job. I narrowed the issue down to the one thing that always seems to be the source of the problem: USB. I tried replacing the files with fresh ones dozens of times, which did nothing, so I decided to just rewire the setup for good measure; of course, doing the thing that made the least sense in my head is what fixed it, just rewiring it. Idk, there must have been a bad solder joint or something..

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Just so you all know for the future, the short beep is because of the capacitors on the voltage line. When you touch the meter it sees current to the cap, so it says there's a short, and once the cap fills up it stops seeing current and stops beeping. If you swap it around so your black probe is on voltage and your red probe is on ground it won't do this.