Question Wii board cutting and other stuff

Bakuku

Portables
@cheese @ShockSlayer
@Noah @Gman
@Aurelio @Shank

I'm thinking about building a Wii Portable since the whole scene is shifting towards it.
Knowing me, I want to include as many features as possible.
- 4 player support GC + rumble external
- AV out
- Wiimote support
- Sensorbar
- WiFi for internet
- Bluetooth for sync
- And so on...

All the above on a as small as possible 4 layer board trim.
The guide has this trapazoid/triangle cut but I'm looking more for the smaller cut @Gman does. With all those grey metal caps removed and all.

Is there a guide to that and pinout location?
And will such a cut support the future GC video for Wii?

Thanks

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you want guides, go to the guides section. Those are all the guides we have. I know most features are easy, basically all of them except for wifi should be relatively easy to do. All the pinouts stay the same, you may just have to move where you get a signal if that part gets cut off

Noah

retired
Portables
Essentially bend the NAND and resolder it to the vias shown.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the LMAO trim for a first time wiiner anyways. You can still remove those caps, they are just filtering AFAIK. Besides, in a portable with as many ports as you want it to have there would be no point because of the size it'd have to be. Realistically it'd just be a wasted effort. OMGWTF is already smaller than the smallest GC trims and is as easy as pie.

Bakuku

Portables
Essentially bend the NAND and resolder it to the vias shown.

I definitely wouldn't recommend the LMAO trim for a first time wiiner anyways. You can still remove those caps, they are just filtering AFAIK. Besides, in a portable with as many ports as you want it to have there would be no point because of the size it'd have to be. Realistically it'd just be a wasted effort. OMGWTF is already smaller than the smallest GC trims and is as easy as pie.

I'm one that wants to push my limits. But I'll have a look when I get a board... (Belgium people exaggerate with prices. 75usd for a Wii :| )

Noah

retired
Portables
"Pushing limits" isn't really recommended for the LMAO. It really doesn't save massive amounts of space and the ratio for work vs. reward is too small to even matter. The vias are tiny and both people who have successfully done the trim used 38 guage wire IIRC. Trust me, not worth it yet.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I'm one that wants to push my limits. But I'll have a look when I get a board... (Belgium people exaggerate with prices. 75usd for a Wii :| )
If you're looking for a cheap wii, I might have a couple suggestions. I'm in the US though so maybe it's different there. I used to go to thrift stores all the time, just make the rounds once a week. I've bought a few wiis for about $10 each at Goodwill stores, plus various other consoles. If that doesn't work, look for a flea market. Last weekend I picked up two wiis, one for $5 and one for $7. You could also look for a "broken" wii, because you don't need it to read discs.

Bakuku

Portables
"Pushing limits" isn't really recommended for the LMAO. It really doesn't save massive amounts of space and the ratio for work vs. reward is too small to even matter. The vias are tiny and both people who have successfully done the trim used 38 guage wire IIRC. Trust me, not worth it yet.
I've done very small wiring. But like I said, I'll have a look when I get a board.

If you're looking for a cheap wii, I might have a couple suggestions. I'm in the US though so maybe it's different there. I used to go to thrift stores all the time, just make the rounds once a week. I've bought a few wiis for about $10 each at Goodwill stores, plus various other consoles. If that doesn't work, look for a flea market. Last weekend I picked up two wiis, one for $5 and one for $7. You could also look for a "broken" wii, because you don't need it to read discs.
Done and done... No go... They think they're selling gold! Come to Europe my friend and enjoy overpriced goods lol!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
A simple resistor can cost you 50cents.
What about ebay? I think Europe has a separate version, but wiis on American ebay are $10 and up if they're broken. You could find one that turns on but won't read discs or that someone took apart and can't put back together. About a month ago, those were like $15-20 shipped.

Noah

retired
Portables
What about ebay? I think Europe has a separate version, but wiis on American ebay are $10 and up if they're broken. You could find one that turns on but won't read discs or that someone took apart and can't put back together. About a month ago, those were like $15-20 shipped.
European shipping is still expensive as hell. IIRC it cost me around $50 to ship Aurelio a box smaller than what a Wii could fit in (also weighed less.)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
European shipping is still expensive as hell. IIRC it cost me around $50 to ship Aurelio a box smaller than what a Wii could fit in (also weighed less.)
That's awful. Then we couldn't even ship him one for cheap. I can't even imagine flea markets that don't have cheap wiis. That's like a mall that doesn't have clothes.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Shipping to Australia is almost as bad as shipping to Europe. A small order from Battery Space costs around $120 to ship, Polycase demands $70 and Mouser/Digikey usually ask for $40+ for a single IC or tiny speaker.