Question Wii audio repair

Hello everyone. Wii modding/repair newbie here. I’m hoping someone can help me repair my old 6layer Wii C/RVL-CPU-01, originally the screen was very dark when you first powered up the console. So I replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors with tantalum capacitors, and this is where the fun begins. I didn’t t get the memo that smd electrolytic caps have the stripe on the - end and everything else striped the + end. So I installed all of the capacitors in backwards. I replaced all the electrolytic capacitors on that side of the board including C90 that filters the 12v signal. Once I realized my mistake I flipped the capacitors around and I now have great video but no audio.

Probing the board I was able to determine that the diode D4, C90 capacitor, and the audio amp were wired together. The audio amp was only getting 4V and it appeared that D4 diode was the problem because it had 11.75 coming into it and 4v leaving. Therefore I replaced it with a 1N4148 diode and powered it up. That worked for a few seconds long enough for me to verify 11.75v was flowing across the top side of the board and then the power light turned from green to red and the console shut down. Now as soon as you power it on it shuts down immediately. I removed the diode and it seems to power up and work but of course I don’t have any audio.

I’m thinking either the new capacitor, being temporarily installed backwards, has shorted or I have fried the amp, or possibly some other component that I have missed. Can someone please help? Provide an schematic of the audio circuit?

Thanks everyone I couldn’t have gotten this far with out this community.

Last edited:
Found the compendium. Wow, that helped a lot. Thanks guys for all the hard work on that!!

Double checked a few things and testing the C90 cap with an ohm meter it was only show 18ohms. So I replaced that and we are back in business. I just need to clean up the solder and replace the C90 cap with a SMD so the heat shielding will fit.