Worklog Wii 350P Worklog

Sunny

Hey all!

I'm finally getting around to using all the hardware I purchased around 2020 to build my first Wii portable.

To keep a long story short, what got me interested in Wii portables was my first handheld, the grey model of the GKD 350H. After getting into some of the memorable experiences which GameCube has to offer, I figured it would be a memorable project to build a Wii portable in the style of the 350H, hence the play on words for the name.

Since I only picked this project up a month ago I was unfortunately too late to signing up for the Summer Build comp, but on the up side that gives me plenty of time to refine my designs.

I'll be modelling the case in Fusion360, and whilst being in a different size category altogether I want to keep the grey theme going from the original GKD I had. I've found Prusa's Urban Grey PETG Prusament to match close enough, also quite similar to the 'Super Lube grey' tubes.

Apart from sticking to a grey and simple design I'm aiming for some comfortable grips on the back, plus the use of Gulikit's new Hall-effect joysticks for the Steam Deck. Really interested in how they feel! My pair should arrive later this month, then I can better start prototyping enclosures. Also going to add OSD controls via some CMOS logic integrated on the button PCB, thanks CrazyGadget for the inspiration and help.

Picked up a Prusa for this and future builds, and after assembly found it to be much louder than expected Turns out the bearings did grease to be added after all... so here's a pic of her on the operating table, Super Lube 21030 at the ready this time.

Prusa_Disassembly.jpg

Reusing the triggers from a Hori USB GCC for the Switch since I wanted some injection molded goodness, will probably take some time playing around with Fusion to get a nice fit and finish since it's my first time taking modelling into the real world.

Hori_GCC_Triggers.jpg

Attached is also my first attempt at using the Form tool to create some grips. Much to learn, but not a terrible start.

FormTool.png

Many thanks in advance to all the info on both the forum and Discord. Keeping up with everything that's happening on a daily basis is a great way to pick up on tips along the way. Looking forward to what the future holds!

Cheers,
Sunny

Sunny

Small progress report: Managed to get a gerber view of the joystick pinout from the wonderful people over at GuliKit, so the next steps will be to do with selecting an appropriate ZIF connector and building a test board with it. Same goes for the button PCB with integrated OSD controls. I've added the Steam Deck joystick pinout below so others can follow :) Excited to be one of, if not the first to use one in their Wii portable!

SteamDeckJoystickPinout.png