Question Wifi board heating up, Soldering difficulty.

While i was trying to move the Bluetooth board I unexpectedly lost boot, even with Bluetooth in it's original plug. I found out then that the wifi module was getting very hot very quick. is my board broken or just the wifi module, is there a way to salvage it? or do i need to buy another wifi module.

I tried soldering the wifi board to the resistors according to the OMGWTF trim but i found it incredibly difficult to solder such small parts together, i also lost the resistor for data line 16 i'm hoping that it's not really needed, but if it is, can i take another resistor from outside the trimmed area and put it on?

Also I've read somewhere that the Wii wont boot without Bluetooth, because when i rerouted it I could still boot however my wii motes wouldn't connect. does being able to boot mean it was successful?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Were you booting into system menu or directly into homebrew channel through priiloader?
Also have you already done the cut? Post some pictures of your wiring

I was booting straight into usb loader GX with priiloader, the board is uncut and all my soldering/wiring has basically been undone, except for the lost resistor.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ok so if the wiimote doesn't move it means that you have not relocated it correctly, the wii can't boot into the system menu or into wii games without one, but homebrews work.
Without the resistor on the wifi data line it won't work, because it's in series to the data line. You can try to short the two pads of the resistor

i've shorted the data line and tried running the wii again. the wifi module is still heating up very hot in a few seconds. i assume that the wifi module is broken, since this happened before I even touched anything related to wifi.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
How hot does it become? The WiFi does normally heat up a bit. Can you post a picture of where are located the WiFi resistors?

Here's how they currentely look, mangled because i tried to solder to them

And the wifi module plug

when it heats it becomes too hot to touch, and much faster than the cpu/gpu do.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Pictures are not very clean, but I can see few pins on the module that are soldered together

that's probably true, but the wifi module was heating up before i even touched anything that had to do with wifi. but i think i'm just going to give up on this board, thanks anyways.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I recommend soldering to the vias next time. They aren't as close together which makes it much easier. Even better, when portablizemii comes out, you can use Aurelio's wifi patch!

does that mean any damage done to the parts that I did solder to doesn't matter?(the missing resistor, and contacts, oops) if i solder to the vias instead?
if so there's hope for me yet.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The problem is that you shorted few pins on the WiFi module, fix that first and try again to connect it to the plug

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
does that mean any damage done to the parts that I did solder to doesn't matter?(the missing resistor, and contacts, oops) if i solder to the vias instead?
if so there's hope for me yet.
You can remove all of these:

(make sure the contacts aren't bridging)

And solder to the vias shown here:

However, if your wifi module is getting that hot that quick, it's probably fried. You'll need another one. There's a couple people here who have plenty of spares. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If your module is busted, and you are in the US, Ill gladly send you a new wifi module for free.

Thanks for the offers, but since I'm in Sweden i cant accept any of them. Do you all solder wires directly to the wifi module? or do you cut out the socket from the motherboard and use those contacts, they do look a lot easier.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Do you really need the WiFi? Or are you relocating it just to make the Wii work? Because if you don't need it you will be able to patch Wii IOSes to remove the need for the WiFi module when we'll release the pack (still you need a working wii to do the mod)

I just need the Wii to start working again. really should have waited, regrets.