Why don't we use buck converters??

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Long story short most other regulators suck. TI regs are the most efficient at our disposable and have been pretty much the only reliable regulators. Other buck converters can't output enough current to maintain the system and waste a lot of power anyway. It says that reg can output 3A but if you scroll down a little on that link it says if used continuously keep below 2A. Wouldn't work well for a portable.

Last edited:
Long story short most other regulators suck. TI regs are the most efficient at our disposable and have been pretty much the only reliable regulators. Buck converters can't output enough current to maintain the system and waste a lot of power anyway. It says that reg can output 3A but if you scroll down a little on that link it says if used continuously keep below 2A. Wouldn't work well for a portable.
Thanks would you happen to know if any one has made a complete list of the exact resistors required for the custom Wii regulators

BocuD

Portables
Thanks would you happen to know if any one has made a complete list of the exact resistors required for the custom Wii regulators
These are the resistor values I usually use:
1v: between 60 and 70 kΩ
1.15v: between 27.5 and 31 kΩ
3.3v: between 1.6 and 1.8 kΩ
5v: between 250 and 270Ω

When under load I usually get around these voltages with these resistances:

1v: 1.03v
1.15v: 1.18v
3.3v: 3.34v
5v: 5.11v

Its always the best to go a little lower rather then higher on the resistor values in comparison to the calculated values in the guide since then you will probably get a slightly higher voltage rather then a lower one, which is always better. The idea of these values is that when under load (the voltage usually drops slightly when the wii is on) the voltage of the reg will be 10 to 50 mV above the desired voltage to increase stability.

Last edited:
These are the resistor values I usually use:
1v: between 60 and 70 kΩ
1.15v: between 27.5 and 31 kΩ
3.3v: between 1.6 and 1.8 kΩ
5v: between 250 and 270Ω

When under load I usually get around these voltages with these resistances:

1v: 1.03v
1.15v: 1.18v
3.3v: 3.34v
5v: 5.11v

Its always the best to go a little lower rather then higher on the resistor values in comparison to the calculated values in the guide since then you will probably get a slightly higher voltage rather then a lower one, which is always better. The idea of these values is that when under load (the voltage usually drops slightly when the wii is on) the voltage of the reg will be 10 to 50 mV above the desired voltage to increase stability.
Now I know a little bit about resistors but just to double check if you needed 70kΩ but only had 10kΩ resistors its possible to connect 7 of them in a chain to get 70kΩ. Is that correct??

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Now I know a little bit about resistors but just to double check if you needed 70kΩ but only had 10kΩ resistors its possible to connect 7 of them in a chain to get 70kΩ. Is that correct??
You could, but don't do that. 7 resistors in a conga line is going to snap apart and take up way too much space. It's pretty easy to buy a cheap pack of resistors, or you can buy the specific ones you'd need if you'd rather do that.

I've used 2 or 3 resistors on my PTHs in the past, and it's no fun. Just use those resistors BocuD mentioned to make your life a LOT easier.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Also, technically this title is misleading, since we do use buck converters. PTHs are just really really efficient and good, compared to that garbage you can get from china.