Which Portable to make next...

Portables
3/4
I need some help deciding which portable to make next so I figured I would reach out to all my fellow modders here to give me some guidance. :)

I'm currently working trying to wrap up my first GameCube "Simi" Portable project but have already gotten the parts for some of my next endeavors. I will be making a second GameCube Portable using a GCVideo chip for 480p video output and WASP/WiiKey Fusion for game play but still waiting on the parts to come in from BadAssConsoles.com. So in the mean time I figured I might try my hand at one of the other projects I have been collecting the parts for below...

1. 3x N64 motherboards and a 5" 800x400 AV Composite in eBay screen but no controllers, no jumper packs, no games, no memory cards and no power supplies.
  2. 1x PSOne with the PSOne screen, power supply, Controller, memory card and a couple games
  3. 1x PS2 Slim SCPH-79001 complete system, a GameStop PS2 Controller, a GoodDisplay 5" 800x480 w/ VGA & AV, a Wii/PS3 VGA HDTV AV Cable & 2x original Sony Memory cards
The rest of the parts are the odds and ends like audio amps, speakers, headphone jacks, tact switches, wire, proto board, etc.etc. that I have but those are the main major pieces I have, (besides the other untested 8 GC Motherboards, 3x Wiikey Fusions and 2x Wasp Fusions I have laying around).

Two of the three N64 boards were somewhat modded by the original owner and those are the ones I'm the least familiar with. With the N64 I would have to buy a lot of extra stuff for so I have kinda been leaning toward the PS2 but wanted to see what everyone here thought since I'm still pretty new to the portable scene. :)

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I just finished up my own n64 portable and I love it! If you get a ED64 then you don't have to buy any cartridges. The PS2 can be trimmed but only slightly. My brother had a ps2 and I only used it for Kingdom Hearts, so honestly I don't have much attachment to it, but it would still be pretty slick.
@Gman and @pengy have both posted about their Ps2 portables so you can take a look at those.

I believe (and I may be mistaken) that you can use the ED64 so that you don't have to have the Expansion pak as well. Just a thought.

I'm excited to see what you choose!

Noah

retired
Portables
I believe (and I may be mistaken) that you can use the ED64 so that you don't have to have the Expansion pak as well.
N64 requires the expansion pack to run expansion pack games, regardless of flash cart or not unfortunately. For now ;)

N64 would be my personal choice. It's got a stellar library and is fairly easy to work with if you can get past the pesky cartridge slot relocation.

Portables
3/4
Yeah, I like the idea of doing the N64 with the great library of games... the game slot relocation is what is a bit intimidating to me after looking at some of the few diagrams I've found. I haven't been able to fine a lot that really explain the relocation in good detail since the expansion slot on the bottom is connected to the main game slot so tightly. That and I really need to go out and buy a N64, (since I sold mine years ago) to have all the accessories to test as I go along... which that's not too a big deal. I think they run like $49 for the complete system with one controller here at a local place in town...

The modding the previous owner did was all over the place so the boards have been trimmed a bit here and there and the solder job from expansion slot removal looks like my worst nightmare. I will have to take a picture when I get a chance and post it. Luckily he threw in a fresh board that hasn't been modded but... I don't have an expansion pack, game, controller, power supply, or AV hook up for it to test anything to make sure it works. The power and AV hookups should be an easy work around, (home made PC Bench power supply and AV cables w/ MoBo pinout) but the expansion pack, game and controller are another story.

It would also be my first chance to try out trimming a motherboard... another intimidating task I have yet to sink my teeth into... >:)

Portables
3/4
Oh, that and I still have yet to bring myself to build a custom power regulator... which I think is pretty much required for the N64 to get the 12v to 3.3v drop... Dang PTH08080 voltage regulators can get expensive unless you buy in bulk... which requires planning, lol!! :)

P.S. If anyone has any good links to some info on slot relocation for the N64 that you're willing to share please let me know. :)

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
N64 requires the expansion pack to run expansion pack games, regardless of flash cart or not unfortunately. For now ;)
Crap. Well I guess I was misinformed. It sounds like you are planning something and I'm interested in what it is. If you are doing some testing of the n64, let me know if you need some help. I have a extra board that I'm debating in portabilzing or sacrificing to science.

@MiseriesChild , the N64 only needs 1 voltage regulator. It has two power lines:12v and a 3.3v. The 12v line gets stepped down so you can give it 7.4v and be just fine. @Luke and I are almost done with our n64 portable guide, so I'll let you know when it's posted.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
PS1 needs more love. I guess it's better to make a PS2 portable cause you can also play PS1 games on there as well so I'd say PS2p.

Portables
3/4
@MiseriesChild , the N64 only needs 1 voltage regulator. It has two power lines:12v and a 3.3v. The 12v line gets stepped down so you can give it 7.4v and be just fine. @Luke and I are almost done with our n64 portable guide, so I'll let you know when it's posted.
@Chaos That would be awesome!! Yeah, please let me know when guys get that posted... that will be an great help and an awesome addition!! :)

PS1 needs more love. I guess it's better to make a PS2 portable cause you can also play PS1 games on there as well so I'd say PS2p.
This is true too... The big thing, (other than games like GOW, the GTA3 series, etc.) that kinda pushed the PS2p forward in the race is the fact that I have all the major parts for the project except for a case already.

As crazy as it sounds, I really would like to keep the disc drive for the "DVD player" factor but this usually involves a bit more of a "custom case" approach from what understand rather than just grabbing a ZN-45 or something from PolyCase and putting it all together like the N64... and that's where the PS2p starts to loose traction and the N64 starts to move ahead. Thus why it's been a really hard decision, lol!!

Just need to get the heating table part for a Vacuum Former figured out, then I would be in business. :D

Last edited: