Question Which is better to clean Soldering Iron tip during use

So my soldering iron came with a sponge. Of course you put a little water in there to clean the tip. However there are copper mesh things that you can also use to clean the tip. I read that it's better to use as it doesn't cool off the tip and doesn't oxidize it. Is this true? Is it substantial to the longevity of my iron? Thank you guys!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I mainly use a sponge to clean my tips. I use the copper/brass wool to get big globs off, and then use the sponge to clean the remainder. Using a sponge does increase the wear on the tip a smidgeon due to thermal cycling, but in my experience it's never caused a tip to die prematurely or cause extra oxidisation. That being said, I don't use el-cheapo solder or tips. Maybe it's more significant with cheaper components? Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it either way

Portables
0.25 (just started)
Yea, cooling of the tip dosn't really matter if you have a better soldering iron like the Hakko FX-888D, like I do. It's mostly up to persnal preference. I use the bras woll to clean usally, becuse I find refilling the sponge every time I want to use my soldering iron to be a hassle.