Where to buy solder?

Ampz

Does anyone know where I can get a good amount of solder from for a good price? And what type should I get? If I can recall correctly I think rosin core with lead and something else.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I got my solder rolls from my local radioshack, since that's about all they carry anymore :(
It would probably be better worth your time/money to look on ebay for big spools.

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Depending on the area in which you live, you should be able to pick up most solder from your local hardware shop, for a finer selection you can pick up solder at many electronics shops. I know RadioShack used to carry solder, but it has been some time since I've been into any RadioShack at all. :/

Ampz

I can't find a RadioShack anywhere in Milton Keynes but I will try my other hardware stores... I'm mostly gonna rely on ebay but thanks guys!

Herma

Innernet.

Look at Digi-Key and Mouser, in general two good places to look for anything electronics. Newark and Arrow aren't bad either.

For a physical store Radio Shack is basically Tandy (they were owned by Radio Shack), though I read they don't have those in the UK anymore. So Maplin would be the place to go.

Ampz

Innernet.

Look at Digi-Key and Mouser, in general two good places to look for anything electronics. Newark and Arrow aren't bad either.

For a physical store Radio Shack is basically Tandy (they were owned by Radio Shack), though I read they don't have those in the UK anymore. So Maplin would be the place to go.
Very informative, thank you.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
rosin core with lead
I highly recommend staying away from solder with lead. You probably don't want to breathe those fumes. Most spools say "rosin core lead-free", so I don't blame you for thinking, "solder, rosin, lead, go".

Also, when I started soldering I picked up a spool with solder that was about 3mm thick. That was a big mistake. Got a second spool that had about 1mm thick and never looked back. That small Radio Shack spool has gotten me through about 3 projects so far.

Ampz

I highly recommend staying away from solder with lead. You probably don't want to breathe those fumes. Most spools say "rosin core lead-free", so I don't blame you for thinking, "solder, rosin, lead, go".

Also, when I started soldering I picked up a spool with solder that was about 3mm thick. That was a big mistake. Got a second spool that had about 1mm thick and never looked back. That small Radio Shack spool has gotten me through about 3 projects so far.
Thanks a lot man I'll definitely be looking out for 1mm solder and get lead-free, I knew that lead solder wasn't all that great but i didn't think it was that bad.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I don't know what all the dangers are (lead poisoning?) but I assume it's for the same reason people stopped using lead-based paint, in the U.S. anyway.

Portables
3/4
Personally I don't use anything but leaded solder... melts, spreads and covers at lower temps a lot better than non lead IMO. I've been using solder with lead in it for years on thousands of different projects and have never had any problems. As long as you're not eating it or licking your fingers after soldering for hours you should be good... and if you are... there might be bigger problems, lol!! :D

The main things you want to remember when using solder with lead in it, (or any solder really) is to use a fan or something to keep the fumes away from not only the solder but the flux too. Make sure to wash your hands after you're done using it and lastly it's not a good idea to mix leaded and non leaded solders. The last one is a debated topic but most argue that mixing the two different kinds will ware down the iron tip more quickly.... not sure how true that really is though.

The solder I use is KESTER SOLDER 60/40 Stand, 0.031" Diameter, bought a big spool of it from eBay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/KESTER-SOLD...-44-1-5-New-/361603180897?hash=item54313aa961) and it has lasted many projects and I'm still no where near running out. It is a very high quality 60/40 split of 60% Tin and 40% Lead solder at 0.031" diameter with a resin core. The smaller diameter makes it A LOT easier to get into tight spots and since it melts fast I can get in and out more quickly than with thicker solder. I did a lot of research before settling on this one and I love it but it is all about personal choice and preference. :)

Herma

Like MiseriesChild, I'm rather fond of leaded solder. Lead free doesn't flow quite as nice. The amounts of lead that get vaporized are pretty minimal, and tbh in terms of breathing stuff in the flux is worse for you than the lead (only because of volume of vapors inhaled, mind you). Plus I doubt any of us are trying to go for ROHS compliance.