Solved Where do I solder to relocate motherboard items?

Now I'm sure this is a very dumb question, but where do I solder to relocate motherboard items?

I should probably explain what I'm talking about. I'm trying to trim down a Wii motherboard that I ripped (Carefully took out) out of a Wii, so I've read "The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide" about ten times. I want to make sure I understand all I need to know before I destroy it with a Dremel. I think I understand how the trim works and the boot requirements. I understand how to relocate the U10 chip because the website shows where to resolder the chip and where, but I don't understand how to rewire things like Bluetooth module or video and audio output. The website shows what each contact for video and audio is on the board and what each one does, but that part gets cut off after trimming the motherboard. I don't understand how I would rewire it to the smaller board. Where would I do it from? Would it be on the underside of the GPU kinda like that one wire from the U10 relocation (At least I'm pretty sure that's the bottom of the GPU)? Or does it require something completely different? I'm not sure, but whatever happens, I'm sure I'll enjoy it a ton (Even if it's failing horribly).

Timo43

Rule 1 when you are new: there are no dumb questions. (As Long as you put some effort into learning)

Here you can see the ave (circled):
34B0D61C-F247-4CDF-AA4F-6AAB778C2E23.jpeg

This is on the underside of the board and the a/v output connection points are here:
A832F72C-DE8E-4C66-B75C-417BE24C1D29.png

The ave does not get cut off. I believe you may be referring to a different a/v spot which does get cut off. However, this one doesn’t. As for BT, you are taking the BT module, and soldering it to the trace lines that connect to the GPU. After scratching off the solder mask of course.

You would be wiring the wires from the ave to your screen and Bluetooth is just getting moved closer to the GPU.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Rule 1 when you are new: there are no dumb questions. (As Long as you put some effort into learning)

Here you can see the ave (circled):
View attachment 10184

This is on the underside of the board and the a/v output connection points are here:View attachment 10185

The ave does not get cut off. I believe you may be referring to a different a/v spot which does get cut off. However, this one doesn’t. As for BT, you are taking the BT module, and soldering it to the trace lines that connect to the GPU. After scratching off the solder mask of course.

You would be wiring the wires from the ave to your screen (and batteries) and Bluetooth is just getting moved closer to the GPU.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much or the response! I think I see now what I was missing before. After a few more days (or weeks. you can never be too safe) of careful planning and researching I will attempt the trim. Fingers crossed I don't screw anything up! Even if I do, I will make sure to try again.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
When things you need get cut off, use the trimming guide to follow the trace backwards until it reaches something that isn't severed. For example, you may be referring to how the AV port is cut off during the trim. Because it is cut off, follow the composite video trace backwards. You can see from the image above that the composite video signal originates at the AVE. Anywhere between the AVE and the point at which it is cut is a viable point to solder to. Generally, we pick the easiest point to solder to. Which is the large capacitors on the top of the board. You can apply this logic to anything you are reconnecting to the Wii.

When things you need get cut off, use the trimming guide to follow the trace backwards until it reaches something that isn't severed. For example, you may be referring to how the AV port is cut off during the trim. Because it is cut off, follow the composite video trace backwards. You can see from the image above that the composite video signal originates at the AVE. Anywhere between the AVE and the point at which it is cut is a viable point to solder to. Generally, we pick the easiest point to solder to. Which is the large capacitors on the top of the board. You can apply this logic to anything you are reconnecting to the Wii.
Thanks for the advice! I had a theory that that might be what I needed to do, but confirmation that it is a viable strategy is what I needed. I don't want to screw anything up and make as little dumb mistakes as possible (like cutting the board and then not knowing how to hook it up to anything. Thank god I didn't do that). I will make sure to study my Wii motherboard very closely and plan out all the connection points, and I'll pray for the best when cutting the board.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the advice! I had a theory that that might be what I needed to do, but confirmation that it is a viable strategy is what I needed. I don't want to screw anything up and make as little dumb mistakes as possible (like cutting the board and then not knowing how to hook it up to anything. Thank god I didn't do that). I will make sure to study my Wii motherboard very closely and plan out all the connection points, and I'll pray for the best when cutting the board.
Remember to cover the CPU and GPU with masking tape to stop metal dust getting under them.