Question Where do i solder on GC motherboard?

I'm sure these questions have been answered many times before. but i'm planning on making a handheld Gamecube, so obviously i need to solder some extras onto the motherboard.

So i was wondering, what and where do i need to solder for connecting a Battery, and a screen (specifically a Wii-u Gamepad screen) to a GC motherboard.

Any help would be appreciated!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The Gamecube is a depreciated system as far as portablising goes. A fair chunk of the old wiring guides don't really exist anymore due to offsite image storage. Is there any particular reason you want to make a Gamecube portable over a much cheaper, easier, and better performing Wii portable?

Also you can't use a Wii-U gamepad screen in a portable. It's not a generic panel and the driver doesn't accept any of the Gamecube's available video outputs.

The Gamecube is a depreciated system as far as portablising goes. A fair chunk of the old wiring guides don't really exist anymore due to offsite image storage. Is there any particular reason you want to make a Gamecube portable over a much cheaper, easier, and better performing Wii portable?

Also you can't use a Wii-U gamepad screen in a portable. It's not a generic panel and the driver doesn't accept any of the Gamecube's available video outputs.
The whole thing is it’s a project that I wanted to do for fun, and to challenge myself, also because I had an extra GameCube lying around, and because I have a soft spot for the GameCube and I’d love being able to take those games wherever I go, (on real hardware!)

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
As Stitches mentioned, the Gamecube is a *very* depreciated system. If you go for a Wii portable, you can still play Gamecube games on original hardware, as the Wii is just a beefed up Gamecube, hardware wise (loose Shank quote). You can trim a Wii significantly smaller, it will generate far less heat and consume far less power. The documentation for Wii trimming has grown exponentially over the past couple of years, and companies like 4LayerTech and Electron Shepherd have designed products that make Wii portablizing a very beginner-friendly process. Even if you have a Gamecube laying around, you'd still be spending hundreds of dollars to transform it into a portable, and designing all the portablizing solutions (like power, audio, controller, etc.) will be *a lot* harder than going with some of the premade solutions by the aforementioned companies. You can get a 4-layer Wii with a busted disc drive for fairly cheap on eBay.

I would suggest reading up on the following threads / guides:

Wii Trimming Guide
Wii Trimming Manual
Gboy Rev 3 Assembly Manual

Shank also does a great job of explaining why Wii portables are vastly superior to GameCube portables in his WiiVision Video:

As Stitches mentioned, the Gamecube is a *very* depreciated system. If you go for a Wii portable, you can still play Gamecube games on original hardware, as the Wii is just a beefed up Gamecube, hardware wise (loose Shank quote). You can trim a Wii significantly smaller, it will generate far less heat and consume far less power. The documentation for Wii trimming has grown exponentially over the past couple of years, and companies like 4LayerTech and Electron Shepherd have designed products that make Wii portablizing a very beginner-friendly process. Even if you have a Gamecube laying around, you'd still be spending hundreds of dollars to transform it into a portable, and designing all the portablizing solutions (like power, audio, controller, etc.) will be *a lot* harder than going with some of the premade solutions by the aforementioned companies. You can get a 4-layer Wii with a busted disc drive for fairly cheap on eBay.

I would suggest reading up on the following threads / guides:

Wii Trimming Guide
Wii Trimming Manual
Gboy Rev 3 Assembly Manual

Shank also does a great job of explaining why Wii portables are vastly superior to GameCube portables in his WiiVision Video:
Wow, a wii really can be trimmed down a lot!! It’s quite intimidating though. I think going with a wii motherboard is definitely a superior idea.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wow, a wii really can be trimmed down a lot!! It’s quite intimidating though. I think going with a wii motherboard is definitely a superior idea.
For a first portable project, absolutely. You could still do the Gamecube portable later on using the knowledge and experience from making the Wii portable, if only just to have that sweet sweet BIOS startup.

For a first portable project, absolutely. You could still do the Gamecube portable later on using the knowledge and experience from making the Wii portable, if only just to have that sweet sweet BIOS startup.
Yeah, can’t wait to start! I’m just gonna buy a wii motherboard soon and get to work!

side question: how budget do you think a wii portable can be done? I know it’s probably a silly question, but I wanted to hear your opinion.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, can’t wait to start! I’m just gonna buy a wii motherboard soon and get to work!

side question: how budget do you think a wii portable can be done? I know it’s probably a silly question, but I wanted to hear your opinion.
Depends on what tools you already have, what your local part prices and shipping are like, and how many mistakes you make. IIRC $300-500 USD is a doable low end budget if you're making something simple like a G-Wii and already have most of the tools.

Depends on what tools you already have, what your local part prices and shipping are like, and how many mistakes you make. IIRC $300-500 USD is a doable low end budget if you're making something simple like a G-Wii and already have most of the tools.
Well, let’s see, I have all the tools I need already, so that’s a start. The case I’m planning to use will be a modified Wii-u game pad case. So if that’s any help. Is there anything I need to know about what screens will be compatible for this project?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Well, let’s see, I have all the tools I need already, so that’s a start. The case I’m planning to use will be a modified Wii-u game pad case. So if that’s any help. Is there anything I need to know about what screens will be compatible for this project?
Any LCD screen + board that takes composite and VGA will do. For a Wii-U gamepad case, IIRC you need a 6.2 inch 16:9 screen. It'll be just slightly too small to sit perfectly within the gamepad's bezel, but it's the closest size you can get.

Any LCD screen + board that takes composite and VGA will do. For a Wii-U gamepad case, IIRC you need a 6.2 inch 16:9 screen. It'll be just slightly too small to sit perfectly within the gamepad's bezel, but it's the closest size you can get.
Composite huh, wouldn't the screen be a bit old then? i'm not having luck finding a recent screen the right size that take composite. I think i'm gonna go with a 7 inch screen.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Composite huh, wouldn't the screen be a bit old then? i'm not having luck finding a recent screen the right size that take composite. I think i'm gonna go with a 7 inch screen.
Not at all, composite is still a widely used standard analog format, but we mostly use VGA now since Aurelio figured out how to get 480p VGA out of the Wii. If you get a 7 inch screen, you'll have to modify the case to accomodate the size of the panel.

Not at all, composite is still a widely used standard analog format, but we mostly use VGA now since Aurelio figured out how to get 480p VGA out of the Wii. If you get a 7 inch screen, you'll have to modify the case to accomodate the size of the panel.
May i ask you if there are any commonly recommended screens already around the size?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not that I know of. Gamepad portables have always been a bit of a crux. Everyone does them differently.

Not that I know of. Gamepad portables have always been a bit of a crux. Everyone does them differently.
Ah, I see. I kinda have an interesting full idea of what I want In my portable. Would you like me to pm? (might be best as this thread has well moved away from soldering a GC motherboard)

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Probably better to make a new thread in the Wii section, you'll get more assistance there. I bought a gamepad ages ago to try it myself, but I never got around to it so I can't really provide any specific advice beyond vague recollection.

Probably better to make a new thread in the Wii section, you'll get more assistance there. I bought a gamepad ages ago to try it myself, but I never got around to it so I can't really provide any specific advice beyond vague recollection.
Really i think the questions would be very much regular Portable wii questions, as the main special thing is it's only being housed in a gamepad shell.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Really i think the questions would be very much regular Portable wii questions, as the main special thing is it's only being housed in a gamepad shell.
Then definitely make a thread in the Wii section