When They Doubt

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
Anyone else ever have the issue where people doubt something basic about you, like your name or ethnicity, or age (within legitimate range)?

I seriously have people constantly doubting my name where I work, and apparently thinking that I am far younger than I am :(

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Some people like it when you think they're younger than they really are... People don't believe me if I tell them my nickname is cheese (I legit had this nickname since elementary school :P)
I mean, if you've got an out there name, or don't look like the stereotypical image of X ethnicity than people will question it for sure, like La-a (la-dash-uh) or a white-looking guy saying he's black, etc

Acronell

Aquafam
Capital District, New York, United States
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Some people like it when you think they're younger than they really are... People don't believe me if I tell them my nickname is cheese (I legit had this nickname since elementary school :P)
I mean, if you've got an out there name, or don't look like the stereotypical image of X ethnicity than people will question it for sure, like La-a (la-dash-uh) or a white-looking guy saying he's black, etc
For me it's not even a nickname, it's my legit name. People call me Acorn as a nickname because people can't read and think my name says Acornell, when it's actually Acronell.

One of the advantages of having a unique name is I get to use it as a username everywhere with no issue.

As it is all the order workers, even those around my age, think I'm only 17, and even the minors think I'm about the same age, usually asking me what teachers I have T.T

I completely understand the ethnicity bit in some cases.

New thread idea, check it

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
I've learned a lot of things in my time here on Earth, allow me to share some of my thoughts on the concept of doubt.

Doubt that comes from within other people should never a burden you carry. It can be dangerous to care too much about what other people think, and even more so to make that any sort of primary motivation. Yeah it feels good to prove someone wrong, but ultimately you don't really have to prove yourself to anyone, or even to yourself. You just have to learn to do the right things for the right reasons, and other people can get with that or get out. Who cares if you can or can't do something? Try it anyways, and you may be surprised as to where you end up. All that matters is that you're learning and improving along the way.

I can remember countless people who have doubted me in the past. I can think of a few that regret it as well.

Herma

No one believes I'm Native American.

I wouldn't believe it either if I saw me, though.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Dang you got off easy, when they taught vowels they had a song "A, E, I, O, U. Sometimes Y, sometimes Y." and never explained further. Confused me every time

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Dang you got off easy, when they taught vowels they had a song "A, E, I, O, U. Sometimes Y, sometimes Y." and never explained further. Confused me every time
lol probably teachers don't even know :P

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
My last name is Symmonds, so I never had a problem with this.