what to do as a beginner?

my only soldering experience has been with a DIY B0XX. I've been watching the Electronics 101 Videos and I've gotten somewhat of an idea of how the basics works. I have solder wick, flux, solid core and magnetic wire, and I'm planning on getting a Wii and dremel soon. Should I make my own? Should I do a premade project like the Ashida or G-Boy? Obviously I don't think I'm going to succeed first try but I really love doing these things. Thanks

The best thing is for a 4 layer but you can use a 6 layer I you can deal with the extra heat and power consumption, but if you buy a wii for the project try finding a 4 layer.

The best thing is for a 4 layer but you can use a 6 layer I you can deal with the extra heat and power consumption, but if you buy a wii for the project try finding a 4 layer.
I'll look for a black wii on ebay then. is standard electrical tape from my dad's toolkit good for the outline?

As long as you cover everything inside of the red lines and cut slightly outside of the lines you should be fine.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'll look for a black wii on ebay then. is standard electrical tape from my dad's toolkit good for the outline?
It'll work, but personally I'd use a ruler and a sharpie to draw the lines cleanly and acurately.

Also ensure that before you trim you have RVLoader installed and fully working. If you're doing the U10 relocation, you should also do that before trimming. It would also be a good idea to wait until you have whatever voltage regulation method you plan to use on hand, so you can test the trim promptly. You'll also need sandpaper of various grits from 200 to 1000 to clean the trim edges to prevent inter-layer shorts.

do I need to tape everything inside as well or just the red lines
You only really need to tape around the CPU and GPU. Bits of metal dust and debris can get under the chips, so the goal is to prevent that from happening

It'll work, but personally I'd use a ruler and a sharpie to draw the lines cleanly and acurately.

Also ensure that before you trim you have RVLoader installed and fully working. If you're doing the U10 relocation, you should also do that before trimming. It would also be a good idea to wait until you have whatever voltage regulation method you plan to use on hand, so you can test the trim promptly. You'll also need sandpaper of various grits from 200 to 1000 to clean the trim edges to prevent inter-layer shorts.

You only really need to tape around the CPU and GPU. Bits of metal dust and debris can get under the chips, so the goal is to prevent that from happening
I was just going to buy everything (eventually) from the ashida BOM and do U10. Theres a bunch of vids of ppl making them so i'd just use whatever they do

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was just going to buy everything (eventually) from the ashida BOM and do U10. Theres a bunch of vids of ppl making them so i'd just use whatever they do
If you're making an Ashida, then you'd be using one of the PMS modules which has U10 functionality built in.

Oh and I forgot to mention: Make sure when you installed RVLoader that you enabled the noWifi patch.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
If this is your first time working with this kind of soldering / project, I would recommend going with something a bit simpler than a full-on portable - namely a Wii Micro. The Noldendo is what I tend to suggest for many newcomers since the BOM is pretty cheap and the build process is significantly less complicated than that of a portable. It's a great way to dip your toes into the hobby without having to invest a ton of money.

Portables
No portables (Yet)
So after seeing this, I’ll take what you said and I’ll shift my thoughts from a portable, to a wii micro. I feel the words of experienced modders are better advice than me telling my self “Yeah, I could make a portable without completely effing it up.”

in that case I'll probably do a micro then - I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. So I need a 6 layer for this (and the extra trimming for 6 layer boards) right?

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Yes, you'll need a 6-layer, but you can get one for ~$20 or less on eBay. Check the Noldendo Miicro thread for the trim lines.