What is your electronic background?

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
Just curious what everyone's background is in. I am amazed at the level of electronic knowledge with many of you modders. I personally worked on phones (software as well as hardware with a fair amount of soldering) for Sprint for several years. I just graduated from college with an AAS in Electrical Engineering Technology, but much of what I here on the forums is beyond my level of electronic knowledge.

So, what is your background? Is this just a hobby, or does it relate to the kind of work you do as well? I want to know!

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
You know AAS, but I know ASS.

I don't have a big one, Just a smol hobby of mine, more knowledge than experience tbh. Hobby in Eda, Cad, and Soldering.

Herma

I'm not super active, but BSEE from UIUC, working as electrical engineer for medical device company (lul guess i'll only do electronics work if you pay me).

Would go for a higher degree but dem student loanz doe.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
My grandfather was an electrician, I want to be an electrician. Portablising is kinda an extension of that, but has more video games.

Portables
I'm not super active, but BSEE from UIUC, working as electrical engineer for medical device company (lul guess i'll only do electronics work if you pay me).

Would go for a higher degree but dem student loanz doe.
Yeah student loans suuuuck. I was fortunate and only accumulated about $8000 in student loans. Most of my school was paid for by financial aid, the community college here is pretty cheap.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
I got into retro emulation and hardware, then into hardware modding, and eventually into portablizing. Right now, I'm getting my BSEE and I work at a local makerspace. My portablizing/practical knowledge has gotten me gigs writing EE curriculum with my professors, which is pretty cool. EE theory still kicks my ass though

My father is an electrician, my brother is an electrician too, I've grown up surrounded by electronics and I loved to know how they worked and how to repair them, hopefully next year I'm starting informatic engineering at the university

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I am mostly self taught, both for electronics and software development. I have a MS in engineering physics and I am now a PhD student in Electronics, but it doesn't really have much to do with this hobby.

Portables
Sounds like there's a lot of very educated people here!

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
I got started softmodding my iTouch I had at the time and moved up to modding wii's and then started modding/JTAG'ing my Xbox 360, stumbled on n64 portables and knew that my life would not be complete until I built one myself. Now I'm close to graduating college with a B.S in Computer Engineering.

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Uuuhh long road till BB-Town..

I learned everything by myself & by watching my father when i was a kid.. I started soldering when I was like 16~17.. at some point i was building radio transmitters/amplifiers & run a pirate radio station from the roof of my parents house :D it was great fun.. IDK if i did console mods after or even before that..

At the same time Xbox360 hacking got me hooked... This was where i really learned how to solder smol stuff.. soldering nands, loving kynar, reballing & repairing traces... Since the beginning of my console modding journey, I've always been watching the portablizer-scene & dreamed of doing my own portable some day... but i never really pushed myself to do it.. i just randomly ended up here... you know.... my life took strange ways the last two years... well.. whatever... :\

//Edit: Oh, and all this has nothing to do with my daily job.. I'm just a lazy Linux SysAdmin/DevOp/GitOp doing config-mgmt, docker, cloud & automation stuff ^^

BocuD

Portables
Like 4 years or so ago I watched a few youtube videos of gman's older gamecube and n64 portables. At the time I didn't think much of it. A year or so later I got more into electronics, and i saw a certain video about a wii laptop pop up and I thought it was pretty cool. That reminded me of an old portable DVD player I had laying around and its what got me started building. I was about 12 at the time. Now I'm here, 3 years later, wasting time still not having built a working portable because I'm not satisfied with anything I build.. oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I started my life of electronics by...

Looking up “electronics” in my parents’ encyclopedia. :facepalm:

Did a smol soldering project in high school just to get my feet wet. It was supposed to be an FM transmitter but I never verified that it actually worked. My electronics interest started ramping up a few years ago when I joined a now-defunct portablizing forum and I bounced around a bit until I got here.

Portables
I picked up electronics a while back after running into the modding community. Most of my knowledge is hobbyist, per se. It is what inspired me to explore more and do the electronics merit badge. I still need to brusb up on some stuff since a couple years away from it creates cobwebs. I haven't cleaned them all out yet, over the last few years.

Trozze

I started with repairing my NES ~10 years ago and then moved on to buying broken systems and learning how to fix them. Learning more about Electronics and soldering on the way. Now I’m designing PCBs for my own modworks.