What I found in my Kindle

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
My old Kindle decided to move onto the afterlife today, so I naturally decided to do an autopsy. Upon removing the back, my eyes were suddenly drawn to a cluster of chips at the bottom and behold! A chip labeled U10. (See pic) Sudden flashbacks emerged from hours spent staring at board trimming guides.

It obviously isn't the same chip as the one in the Wii, because it has more pins. Still laughed when I saw it though.

On a totally different note, what does the U10 actually do? Or is it just a magic chip that lets the board boot?

Attachments

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
My old Kindle decided to move onto the afterlife today, so I naturally decided to do an autopsy. Upon removing the back, my eyes were suddenly drawn to a cluster of chips at the bottom and behold! A chip labeled U10. (See pic) Sudden flashbacks emerged from hours spent staring at board trimming guides.

It obviously isn't the same chip as the one in the Wii, because it has more pins. Still laughed when I saw it though.

On a totally different note, what does the U10 actually do? Or is it just a magic chip that lets the board boot?
U is the circuit board reference designator for an IC. Any board with 10 or more ICs will have its own U10.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That u10 looks to be some kind of power chip, or power hungry chip, judging by the size of the trace near it.

On the Wii, U10 has to do with starting up the starlet which handles the startup for the rest of the system.