What Hard Drive To Use 2TB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
England Buckingham Palace with a fake tash
Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
hello i was just wandering about external hard drives and a good 2TB let me know the model number

and another quick question do most hard drives work.... whats the compatibility with it

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Depends on what you want to use the drive for, and how much you're willing to spend on it. A cheaper drive will be a bit slower, and possibly need an external power supply.

If you mean what hard drives work with PM, we don't support using them since PM was designed to be used in portables and the tiny flash drives we usually use are much more power efficient, smaller, and lighter.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Based on your other thread (link for posterity), my guess is that most, if not all hard drives would be too slow for use in PortablizeMii. I was using an SD card in my setup for awhile even though the PM team says not to. It worked, but after I switched to a working flash drive, I noticed an improvement in performance plus the PM startup animation plays now (which I didn't even know existed when I used an SD).

A solid state drive would probably work well, but no idea how compatible they'd be since AFAIK nobody has used one with PM. Also, a 2TB SSD would NOT be cheap.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Not to mention the fact that there is zero need for 2TB of memory. I have around 30 GC games, 30 Wii games, and 120 emu games, and that takes up just under 100 gigs. I even have duplicates between GC/Wii of Pikmin, Jungle Beat, and LEGO Star Wars, not to mention other games I doubt I'll ever play, but we have the disc so why not?

The only way you'd use up even half of that would be if you wanted to put full libraries of every single console, which frankly I don't understand why people do that. It would just make finding the good games difficult. So really, a 128gb should be plenty for all of your Wii needs.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Not to mention the fact that there is zero need for 2TB of memory. I have around 30 GC games, 30 Wii games, and 120 emu games, and that takes up just under 100 gigs. I even have duplicates between GC/Wii of Pikmin, Jungle Beat, and LEGO Star Wars, not to mention other games I doubt I'll ever play, but we have the disc so why not?

The only way you'd use up even half of that would be if you wanted to put full libraries of every single console, which frankly I don't understand why people do that. It would just make finding the good games difficult. So really, a 128gb should be plenty for all of your Wii needs.
And if you trim the junk data padding from the GC/Wii games, most games are actually smaller than the 1.42GB/4.2GB disk size. Better storage efficiency!

Portables
Nvidia Shield K1, Gpd XD, PSP cfw, 3DS cfw. more to come. sorry if soft-mod is not cool.
interesting i know what im doing when it comes to games. i play a lot and PM kicks ass think im gunna get a western digital hard disk. ssd are crazy prices but one day will come down maybe. but im 23 and i have played a lot of games but there are a lot more to be played...

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
i have played a lot of games but there are a lot more to be played...
Love that mentality. I've only played through about 45% of my 1000+ collection of games. That's why I don't want to devote hundreds of hours to a single game. When I stopped playing Final Fantasy XI, I gave away all my items and gil. Somebody in game suggested I hang onto it in case I want to come back. I might someday, but I guess I'll have to start from scratch.

Portables
sorry i havent been on in a while i have been on holiday and been busy but yeah fibbef i love playing games i have my whole life. i just have got a usb splitter with usb switches gunna get another 2tb hard drive for wii. i know it sounds crazy but...... i am buying the 16tb set up from this guy then its rom time ! -snip ad/illegal link- if you love hyper spin this is the best set up . . . ! i looked into it and he has all the rom sets compleate hours of work and you download updates for it. any way i aint saying buy it and people at hs are pissed at him lol !

Admin note: BitBuilt isn't for advertisements, especially illegal ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.