Question What do I need?

Simple title but I've lurked around for a few years as my soldering skills and 3d design and printing skills have gotten better I think I'm finally ready to tackle an ashida Wii.

So my question is I've seen the list of boards and stuff but some things aren't available it seems, unfortunately I'm more of a visual learner I don't do well looking and reading and following that way (thank God for YouTube) lol.

I have a couple 3d printers one is good for just basic filaments and the other is fully enclosed and can do more serious filaments but to start I'll probably just print in pla. I will print the case and steal all my buttons from a spare gc controller, I also have 3 Wii's to work with all are the correct board. Sorry for the long post

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
In terms of parts, everything you need for the Ashida is in the Bill of Materials (BOM) on the main Ashida thread. In terms of tools / other materials you'll need, I made a post in another thread a while ago with a list of things you'll want / need for building a portable.

Regarding some boards being out of stock (RVL-PMS Lite and U-AMP), the RVL-AMP is a replacement for the U-AMP in Wii portables, and for right now, you just have to wait for the RVL-PMS to come back in stock (it's undergoing a redesign due to the chip shortage).

cy

Portables
It looks like Crazy Gadget beat me to it, but I'll make my post regardless.

The Ashida BOM has everything you need for the build listed with links. If any of those links are down, you can do a search for the part number and it should come up elsewhere. The STLs for 3d printing can be found at the beginning of this thread. The print itself requires supports and must be orientated a certain way in order for it to be successful, it also hardly fits on a Prusa Mk3 print bed and takes 20+ hours per side to complete, so be aware that it is a more advanced print. With that said however, I managed to print one with minimal flaws and I've only had my printer for a little over 6 months. You shouldn't have any problems printing it as long as you have enough filament. Finally, you can find the custom PCBs you'll need here.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
To add to the 3D printing part of it, a lot of people (myself included) like to use the resin / nylon powder printing services from JLCPCB and PCBWay, some of the basic stuff is pretty low-cost, and the quality is impeccable. I personally *love* the SLS / MJF nylon from JLCPCB, it's pricier than the basic white resin, but it's the best quality feeling I've ever felt from any kind of 3D printing.

Reactions: cy