What are the use cases of the PTR08060 vs the PTH08080?

Portables
When looking at both, I don't know why I would use the PTH08080 when it looks like the PTR08060 can output a higher amperage while only needing the same base input power, meaning both can be powered off of 7.4V. It looks like the 08080 has a higher max input voltage (18V vs. the 08060's 14V), but I can't think of a case where you'd need to input that much voltage.

Could anyone help me know what each does and when I should use them?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Size, cost, ease of wiring, stock availability IIRC. The PTR08060 can output up to 6A continuous current, while the PTH08080 can output up to 2.25A while sporting a slightly wider input voltage range. In older systems like the Gamecube or PS2 we'd use the PTR for voltage rails that needed a metric shitton of current to run, and the PTH for lower current rails to save money and space.

The 4 layer Wiis are very power efficient, and draw less than 2.25A on each voltage rail. The perpherals for controls, audio, video, and USB storage use either such minimal power that it's insignificant, or use 5V which a trimmed Wii doesn't use at all so there's huge headroom.

Unless you plan to use very large components, like a 15 inch screen and 10w audio amp, you'll never need the extra current a PTR will provide. You can use them without issue if you want, but you don't need them.

Portables
Thanks for the input!

I'm currently working on portablizing a PS2, so I've decided on one PTR08060, two PTH08080's, and one TPS7101 because the trimming guide said that you needed the 1.75V rail to be powered by a linear regulator and it met the requirements from what I saw.

I'll probably need a few more for other components, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it :)

Last edited: