Question What age is normal for making a portable

Hi!

Im Sprite, i have watched people like shank, gman and madmorda make portables, and i wonder if i could make one too.

But the thing is: Age.... Im 13.... :(

I think im to young to do it, what age where you when you first made a portable or do you just think i am a stupid child? :D

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Age is just a number really and not an impediment to the hobby. If you’re intelligent enough/have enough drive to make a portable you can do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MRKane

2021 3rd Place Winner
I started in my late 30s - we all know nothing when we start, and as a friend of mine says "every day is a learning day" :) What's held me back frequently has been lack of income, but you can still do a lot of fun things with cheap equipment!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Age is just a number
1633509566853.png

1633512566854.png

Seriously tho as long as you're willing and able to do comprehensive research, listen to advice, take it slow, and resist your inner turbo retard, you'll do just fine. We won't hold your hand, but as long as you put in the effort, we'll be here to help fill in the gaps.

Just make sure you have plenty of time and money to spend on tools and parts. Half decent equipment is a very tangible initial investment, and chances are you'll break a few things along the way. Building a portable is a lengthly and costly endeavour, especially the first time.

Also, pls don't fall into the trap of over-the-top self deprecation. No-one here really cares how old you are, as long as you behave yourself and don't use age to deflect criticism or advice.

If you're looking for some basic information to get you started in general, check out the Electronics 101 thread here https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/electronics-101-videos.1224/ and the threads GMan collated in this post https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/g-wii-cad-files.2319/post-31648 . If you want to have a go at 3D modelling, Fusion 360 is free and there are a metric shitton of tutorials on youtube to follow.

Last edited:

Dmcke5

2020 1st Place Winner
Portables
Okay! thanks for the replys.
What i have learned from this is this thread is that age doesnt matter. Its skill, time and money that matter :) Soooo i guess ill just have to get a job...
In my short time here, the main thing I've noticed the younger guys that didn't last long have trouble with is expecting help instantly. Just remember that most of the people on here that are going to provide help likely have a job to attend (not too mention families etc) and may be in a different time zone to you. Be patient when waiting for help and appreciative when you get it and you'll be absolutely fine.

Also, whatever your estimated budget is, double it. There are always hidden costs (and failures) you won't have considered with any complex project, especially for a first timer. I think my cheapest portable came out at about $300, and I only used a raspberry pi and a bunch of common off the shelf components. I'm yet to build a Wii portable but I'm sure others can give you a rough idea of how much just the parts are likely to cost you for something like that.

The job is definitely going to be necessary unless your parents are willing to pay for everything so get that sorted first. If you want to try and convince your parents to help out a bit I'd suggest taking the approach from an educational point of view. Building a portable will teach you the basics of a few different skills that could potentially help you secure a good job in the future.

Good luck, I look forward to seeing whatever you decide to build!

Hi!

Im Sprite, i have watched people like shank, gman and madmorda make portables, and i wonder if i could make one too.

I think im to young to do it, what age where you when you first made a portable or do you just think i am a stupid child? :D
Hey man, it’s never to young to start and making a portable, this community is great and they will support you. Over my time here I was given one important message that has stayed with me over the course of this year. Portablizing is 90% reading, 5% making and 5% praying. As long as you have the drive you can do great. Just make sure to practice before getting into making actual portable though. Can’t wait to see what you come up with. :)

Heuic

Hi!

I just turned 16 and I'm almost done with my portable, i wanted to do it earlier but didn't have the money. So if you've got the dough than you can work the show.
But yeah just go for it and be willing to learn/ mess up.
Also read alot make sure you understand it in your head before you start. Doing that will make the whole thing easier

And also be prepared to spend more than you prepared for

Money is the problem. :(
Do you have any experience with soldering?

If not you could start with buying some small soldering kits and work your way up to a portable over time and also gain experience.

If you need any 3D prints just hit me up, I dont have the largest printer but I also live in Sweden, you can only pay postage

Do you have any experience with soldering?

If not you could start with buying some small soldering kits and work your way up to a portable over time and also gain experience.
No no experience with soldering...

What do you think i should start soldering? Because a portable might not be where to start... :) thanks dino :)

No no experience with soldering...

What do you think i should start soldering? Because a portable might not be where to start... :) thanks dino :)
Me too I’m also 13 lol I am slowly starting with raspberry pi’s and arduinos I’d recommend this