Question What 3D software should I use?

Portables
For the moment… none.
which 3D printing software should I use? I don’t know which one would be a good one to design for my wii portable. Any suggestions? (Edited)

Last edited:

dababy

Bro I would go Ashida. If u go super cheap for the first, most likely it’ll suck. Also stick with ONE thread

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
To be technically correct (the best kind of correct) an NES portable would cost like 60 bucks.

Do what you want to make though. If you don't care about the console you are working with you won't want to put in the effort of learning and building it.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
To give my two cents (and feel free to take it with a grain of salt), a project like this is something you really don't want to cheap out on. Sacrificing good quality parts from the get go sets you up with a rocky foundation to work with. If you cheap out on your building blocks, you're very likely to be unhappy with the end product. I understand that, at a young age, it can be difficult to get the kind of funds needed for this kind of project (around the $400 mark), but if you really want to end up with something that you are happy with (and something that will last you a long time), saving up for the good stuff pays off tremendously in the long run. I've worked on G-Boys, Ashidas, and lesser-quality builds from people like PortaPackIt and PhoenixRetroMods, and I can tell you first hand that the difference is night and day.

In addition to the price, building something that's already been developed / perfected like the Ashida makes the entire process much simpler than trying to design something of your own. That's not to discourage you from making something of your own - it's great to learn those kinds of skills - but if you're looking for something simple, the Ashida is absolutely the way to go right now.

TL;DR save your money, buy nice or buy twice!

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
If you are super eager to build something just to have it in your hands, I'll second Doom and suggest a NES portable built out of a cheap clone board. You'll definitely get your feet wet in the hobby without breaking the bank and give you skills + confidence to work on something more complex. I started out when I didn't have much money to throw at the hobby and my early attempts showed. Now I'm older and my projects are still questionable, but at least now I can afford cooler toys to help me along the way.

It’s true that a portable console build will cost a lot. Even hearing “go for the Ashida” that’s still gonna cost you over $200 (that’s pretty cheep for a console build). That’s not even taking into account the equipment you’d need (soldering iron, rotary cutter, hot gun, even the Wii console itself!). Then there’s 3D printing… that’s expensive and it’s usually pretty pricey for other places like PCBway to print for you. The cheapest print for an Ashida shell would be around $40-$60 (that’s just for the case).

I’m pretty curious about this handheld NES… why someone would need that in 2022 is a little laughable though (thanks to emulation). But it’s an interesting one to start with if it’s really that cheep but pretty pointless to build. Especially if you’re actually building it to play it.

Portables
For the moment… none.
To give my two cents (and feel free to take it with a grain of salt), a project like this is something you really don't want to cheap out on. Sacrificing good quality parts from the get go sets you up with a rocky foundation to work with. If you cheap out on your building blocks, you're very likely to be unhappy with the end product. I understand that, at a young age, it can be difficult to get the kind of funds needed for this kind of project (around the $400 mark), but if you really want to end up with something that you are happy with (and something that will last you a long time), saving up for the good stuff pays off tremendously in the long run. I've worked on G-Boys, Ashidas, and lesser-quality builds from people like PortaPackIt and PhoenixRetroMods, and I can tell you first hand that the difference is night and day.

In addition to the price, building something that's already been developed / perfected like the Ashida makes the entire process much simpler than trying to design something of your own. That's not to discourage you from making something of your own - it's great to learn those kinds of skills - but if you're looking for something simple, the Ashida is absolutely the way to go right now.

TL;DR save your money, buy nice or buy twice!
Thanks for the advice, I’ll most likely go for a Ashida.

If you are super eager to build something just to have it in your hands, I'll second Doom and suggest a NES portable built out of a cheap clone board. You'll definitely get your feet wet in the hobby without breaking the bank and give you skills + confidence to work on something more complex. I started out when I didn't have much money to throw at the hobby and my early attempts showed. Now I'm older and my projects are still questionable, but at least now I can afford cooler toys to help me along the way.
Thanks for the advice, However like I said I’m quite young and I don’t exactly have NES cartridges lying around, Also if I wanted to play a NES game I’d just emulate it. But thanks anyways.

It’s true that a portable console build will cost a lot. Even hearing “go for the Ashida” that’s still gonna cost you over $200 (that’s pretty cheep for a console build). That’s not even taking into account the equipment you’d need (soldering iron, rotary cutter, hot gun, even the Wii console itself!). Then there’s 3D printing… that’s expensive and it’s usually pretty pricey for other places like PCBway to print for you. The cheapest print for an Ashida shell would be around $40-$60 (that’s just for the case).

I’m pretty curious about this handheld NES… why someone would need that in 2022 is a little laughable though (thanks to emulation). But it’s an interesting one to start with if it’s really that cheep but pretty pointless to build. Especially if you’re actually building it to play it.
Thanks for the information, I know that even an Ashida is pretty pricey, but I would like to build a portable wii, and if that’s the cheapest good quality kind then I’ll probably go for building that. I know It’ll be a while before I can build it.

Portables
For the moment… none.
Like mentioned before, don't cheap out on important parts. Just basic things like the screen, controller, etc.

Not to sound pretentious, but don't double post. You can easily use the edit button and reply to multiple comments in one post.
I can always delete old replies. Like I just did there.

Portables
For the moment… none.
And I've merged and undeleted them, deleting posts is for mistakes and not convenience. Deleting posts in a chain causes confusion in the conversation. Edit them in the future.
Okay thanks for the help. I’m quite new to bitbuilt. So I don’t quite know all the ropes yet.
Also please stop making so many threads, and definitely stop making duplicate threads asking the same question. The forum is not a discord chat, we don't like it getting cluttered. You can bump your own thread once or twice if you don't get a responses to a question after a few days, but asking the same question in multiple threads is annoying and will attract a detention
Sorry I won’t post to many threads anymore, :\ like I said I didn’t know it was bad to post to many threads, Sorry once again.

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Okay thanks for the help. I’m quite new to bitbuilt. So I don’t quite know all the ropes yet.

Also please stop making so many threads, and definitely stop making duplicate threads asking the same question. The forum is not a discord chat, we don't like it getting cluttered. You can bump your own thread once or twice if you don't get a responses to a question after a few days, but asking the same question in multiple threads is annoying and will attract a detention