Worklog Wesk's *Real* N64 Mini

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
N64minilogo.png

So to jump aboard the mini console bandwagon I've decided for this years competition I'm going to be making an N64 mini using real N64 hardware and real kinda real mini cartridges.

The plan is to mount an Everdrive internally on the main console, this will then connect to an SD card reader which will act as the cartridge slot. Each mini cartridge will hold a small SD card only containing the ROM of the specified game giving the feeling of an actual mini N64 cartridge.

Rather than make a like-for-like smaller version of the N64 console I designed this mini console on how I feel Nintendo would have made it look if the N64 was smaller. I suppose you could call it "Cute-ify".

You can take a 3D look of the current WIP case here: Wesk's N64 Mini
N64mini console.png

And here is an idea on the size of the cartridges:
N64 Mini cart.jpg

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
N64minicomp.jpg

Board
= Trimmed
Exp Pak = Rewired
PIF = Relocated
Cartridge port = Wired
Case Fit = Needs slight adjustment

I did run into an issue with attempting to wire the Exp Pak 1:1 as this variant is slightly different having only 35 pins and not 36 as it states. I detailed information here: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/nus-rmc-10-expansion-pak-variant-pinout.3329/

I also made a slight fuck-up with the main board trim as I went a little too far and severed 2 traces, I've run 2 wires in their place while trying to keep wire length as close to the original trace length as possible.
oopsn64.jpg

The case also required a little bit of tweaking, I've raised the height by about 5mm. This will allow for a bit more space for cooling, controller ports and to fit the Everdrive. Having a working cartridge port takes up a surprising amount of vertical space.

Last edited:
So, I know that you are using an actual N64 instead of a Wii, but I was wondering how the size compares to @robertlong13 ‘s N64 Minii?

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
That is absolutely the cutest. You gonna do type C power? Whats your plan for cooling?
Just doing a typical DC barrel for power, no need to get too fancy for this. For cooling....I'm not 100% sure yet but at this stage there won't be a fan. I'll most likely heatsink anywhere there is space to do so. Perhaps I'll hack up an old fanless GPU heatsink.

So, I know that you are using an actual N64 instead of a Wii, but I was wondering how the size compares to @robertlong13 ‘s N64 Minii?
robertlong's N64 Minii is about 10-15% smaller. The N64 mainboard is the biggest limiting factor for horizontal dimensions and the cartridge slot adds a little more to the height.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
damn that looks slick. How hard was the PIF relocation?
The PIF relocation is not difficult, it just takes additional time to wire up, We don't have much information on the PAL N64 models (and specifically this later model) so I'm not even sure if it has been successful until I finalize the wiring and try to get the system to boot...

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
This looks amazing, but the controller slots might be a hard fit, interested to see how this goes.
Surprisingly the controller ports have the most space out of almost everything, the tightest fit is going to be the heatsink and the Everdrive. I've been trimming more and more of the Everdrive PCB to make sure it fits, every millimeter counts.