Discussion Wavebird clone spotted

Going to derail for a second.

With the release of 8bitdos NES and SNES Bluetooth receivers I have wanted to get my hands on N64 and Gamecube copys. Gaining these receivers would mean every Nintendo controller (or a quality Bluetooth knock off of) with the exception of Gamecube, can work on every Nintendo console.

I feel chasing after these third party Wavebirds is a waste of time; if the GameCube had a Bluetooth receiver, we could easily re-shell an existing Bluetooth controller into the Gamecubes shell. I also miss rumble

I have found a guide on creating a PS2 Bluetooth receiver that communicates with PS3 and 4 controllers. I'm no coder, but I feel we can appropriate this for the Gamecube.

Left to my own devices I would use this PS2 to GameCube Controller Converter, which has been reported to introduce zero lag, and re-shell a PS3 controller into a wavebird.

But the PS2 Bluetooth receiver uses 2 parts; the Teensy emulates the controller and receives button inputs from the Raspberry Pi.

I have found a Teensy biased Gamecube controller emulator as well: While I am not going to believe different two controller emulators made by different people for different purposes would be interchangeable out of the box, I wonder if someone who is more specialized in coding could use the above resources to remove the need for a controller converter.

I apologise if this post is too far off topic, but I feel that a DIY Bluetooth receiver would benefit this community much more than some crappy Wavebird knockoffs.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
While a custom solution like that would probably be ideal, we're looking for an easy out since few of us actually have coding skills. Me personally, I feel like it would take more time than I'd like to spend on it, maybe some rainy day I'll have some time and do it (or someone else will), but it isn't shooting to top priority...

If someone does want to tackle it, I'd probably just make some simple transmitter that sends the status of all the inputs to a board that runs a modified gc+. If you spent enough time, you could probably make a generic bt controller receiver that uses gc+ as a base.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Ive discussed the possibility of making a pop-in replacement PCB for the wavebird that functions as a BT controller with the pizza lord. Ive pitched for interest amongst a group of dolphin enthusiasts, and they liked the idea. The issue is it would need to be something profitable to be worth his time. It would require desoldering and transplanting components, so it wouldn't be for the average user, and would require sacrificing a wavebird shell to do so. The BB store might be able to do that, but once you add in cost of parts, labor, 2 way shipping (if they supply their own wavebird) or 1 way shipping and cost of a wavebird, it'll be expensive for non-modders, but I know that some would still be willing to pay the price.

However, I am extremely interested in the idea of making a BT controller board that pops into an official nintendo controller, regular or wavebird. If someone else handled the code, I would be more than willing to take care of PCB Design and costs for buying and testing said PCBs.

cheese

Staff member
If we were to put these in the store, it would probably use the unofficial ones that were linked in the OP and just have a replacement PCB inside, since it would be quite costly to use official ones. If you were to make a custom board, it would probably use the RN-42 replacement shown here, since that's basically the cheapest option on the market to easily do what you want.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If we were to put these in the store, it would probably use the unofficial ones that were linked in the OP and just have a replacement PCB inside, since it would be quite costly to use official ones. If you were to make a custom board, it would probably use the RN-42 replacement shown here, since that's basically the cheapest option on the market to easily do what you want.
The wavebird clones in this thread are unacceptably bad. I would never play on a controller that bad.

Fascinating link is fascinating. Im very tempted to whip up a wavebird shaped PCB with pads placed for the HC-05. Even if not commercially viable on a scaleable level, it would certainly be a neat project to have

I'm glad there is some interest in building a Bluetooth setup.

What are opinions on the receiver side?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I'm glad there is some interest in building a Bluetooth setup.

What are opinions on the receiver side?
Receiver would probably be any standard bluetooth module, right? I have a laptop with one built in, so my goal would be to make it compatible with that one

Sorry, I was unclear; should we be using the PS2 receiver I linked with a controller converter or use/create a different teensy controller emulator?

Last edited:

cheese

Staff member
Sorry, I was unclear; should we be using the PS2 receiver I linked with a controller converter or use/create a different teensy controller emulator?
Wat. The stuff Shank was looking at was for computers. If you wanna have wireless for all the systems, just get different controller converters and plug a stock wavebird into it

I have found a guide on creating a PS2 Bluetooth receiver that communicates with PS3 and 4 controllers. I'm no coder, but I feel we can appropriate this for the Gamecube.

Left to my own devices I would use this PS2 to GameCube Controller Converter, which has been reported to introduce zero lag, and re-shell a PS3 controller into a wavebird.
You seem to think i haven't found my own solution; I also get rumble this way.

The purpose of me asking was to see if our community could use what I have to create a more elegant option.