Board scan Wavebird Board Scans and Documentation

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I have recently started on a Wavebird controller project that involves dissecting and documenting the circuit board. I have ammassed some useful information that I hope others can use as well, so I'm posting everything I have so far. I will keep the link and images up to date, since I'll still be adding to it and making minor corrections.

The file is pretty large, so I'm putting a link to the zip file in Google Drive. It contains:
-A Compendium, similar to the layout of the Wii Compendium, with all of the traces mapped onto layers that can be hidden or viewed at will. I used a program called Krita instead of Paint.net though.
-A Word document containing pinout diagrams for all of the chips on the board, as well as general information on how each chip relates to the others.
-Datasheets for all of the chips on the main board.
-Pictures of the board with components, without components, and without solder mask. Fortunately the board is only 2 layers. There are different revisions, but so far they all seem very similar with only minor placement variations.
-Pictures of a working trim of the wavebird.
-Links to various other useful information about the Wavebird.
-A complete parts list of all components used in the controller.

It does NOT include much information about the transmitter board inside of the controller, since I will most likely keep it intact for my project. It is connected using 7 pins/through holes and is fairly easy to desolder with a hot air station.

There is a trim for the Wavebird, very similar to the original GC controller trim. Everything necessary to do it is in the pictures folder and the Pinouts and Diagrams Word doument.

Trim Top.jpg

Link to the full zip file (about 300MB):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1glZRJookhfIN80oFsPqbttPW2ruLG42q

Thanks to @Shank for sending me the board I documented. Here are some pics :D
Wavebird Top Components.jpg
Wavebird Top Plain.jpg
Wavebird Top Traces.jpg
Wavebird Pinout Front.jpeg
Wavebird Bottom Components.jpg
Wavebird Bottom Plain.jpg
Wavebird Bottom Traces.jpg
Wavebird Pinout Bottom.jpeg

Last edited:

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
RIP poor Wavebird :'(
But anyway... nice work ;)

Is there a pinout like this for a wired controller? Also, anyone know where I can find a list of the electrical components (i.e. capacitors, resistors, logic boards all w/ specs)for both controllers?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
would the pinout for the main chip be the same as the normal controller?
Sadly no. The Wavebird uses a completely different main chip that is not interchangeable with the CNT-DOL chip in the wired controllers. Different footprint, different pinout, different capabilities.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
is there a pinout diagram for it? i can only find ones for the original GameCube controller
Check the compendium zip file in the OP. It says there's a word doc in there with pinouts for all the chips on the board, I'm assuming that includes the WCTX-DOL chip

yeah found them thanks. do you know if it would matter if one of the ground pins wasn't connected? pin 8 isn't connected and the controller seems to still work fine

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I have no way to know which pins need to be connected and which pins can be left floating, but I'd assume Nintendo knows and that's why they left the pin NC