Question Want to make wii portable don't know how

recently, I was playing Nintendo Land on my Wii U (my sister REALLY wanted to play that game specifically for some reason)
and then it quickly went to all 3 of my siblings and me wanting to play the Zelda and Metroid mini games that need Wii MotionPlus. I have a Wiimote plus that came with Wii Party U and one Wii MotionPlus add on. I know we had another so my brother went to find our other WM+. What he found amazed me. instead of finding a Wiimotion Plus, he found 2 Wiis (one broken because I dropped it when I was really young. they both look the same, though) and our copy of Pikmin that I was looking for about a week ago.
Anyway, it got me thinking about turning one into a portable Wii.
the only issue is. I don't know how to make one, I have no experience in DIY projects, and I know nothing about hardware.
So, can someone please tell me what materials I need and some helpful, noob-friendly information of how to actually put it together.
also, I might have to borrow my uncle's 3D printer for a making a case or something

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
TBH, there is no real noob friendly information. Building a portable console is a very involved process, it takes significant time, money and skill. You're more than welcome to try, but I recommend taking the time to read through the whole Wii Guide Hub, this thread on custom regulators, and as many worklogs and discussion threads in the Wii section as you can before you even THINK about putting your hands to anything. You need to understand the scope of the task before you can undertake it, but you should find everyone here willing to help you if you put the effort in.

As for the best place to start, you could check the google to see if there are any public electronics workshops in your area. They'd be a great place to start learning about the basics of soldering, multimeter use, and voltage/current information.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Definitely check out this thread. Watch all the videos and understand them. Read through the noob thread as much as you can to find solutions to problems you'll probably have. Get a quality iron and never cheap out. Read through other people's worklogs to get an idea of the process. When I started I didn't know much either, but there's plenty of resources here and outside that can help you. Just have plenty of time to invest and do your research!

tbh i was COMPLETELY expecting to not need any knowledge of electronics and just have an incredibly easy, step by step tutorial with everything I need
not INCREDIBLY VAGUE INFO.
Yes, I am salty and lazy
also i thought most of the cost of it was the Wii itself. i don't think i have the budget for this

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
tbh i was COMPLETELY expecting to not need any knowledge of electronics and just have an easy, step by step tutorial with everything I need
Yes, I am salty and lazy
also i thought most of the cost of it was the Wii itself. i don't think i have the budget for this
Unfortunately it's nowhere close to as easy as you're thinking it will be. It takes hundreds of hours and dollars to create a portable and laziness makes it impossible. Wii's are free compared to the other expenses such as a good iron, dremel, batteries, regulator, charging circuits ect. Plus everyone's first portable is usually pretty terrible. :P Come back if you develop the patience/funds for this project, it's really fun if you have the interest.

I just thought it would be cool to do a thing. I didn't know it would take this much effort. and time and money

I actually had a similar experience as you, as my siblings love our WiiU and I found our old Wii lying around as well! I do have some experience with DIY projects and I do own the necessary equipment (soldering iron, parts and wires), but I usually don't do circuitry work like this. However, with a bunch of research, time, and money, I've gotten pretty close to completing my own Wii portable (I'm still waiting on some parts to come in the mail so I can finally finish it). I also plan on using a 3D printed case, although I do actually have some skill with 3D modelling and designing. If you think it would help you, feel free to check out my worklog. I logged a lot of my research, and progress along the way.
However, this kind of project is not exactly easy unless you are willing to do a ton of reading and learning. There are some truly brilliant and friendly people on this site, but they will only help you once they can see that you've done your homework and you can speak intelligently to the topic you want to discuss. If you are willing to show some passion, dedication, and effort, then you will have a great time with this project. I've been enjoying playing F-Zero GX with my project for a few weeks now.
Also If you'd like, feel free to PM me to chat. I'll admit I'm no genius with circuitry, but I can certainly help you out with research and getting started.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
tbh i was COMPLETELY expecting to not need any knowledge of electronics and just have an incredibly easy, step by step tutorial with everything I need
Yes, I am salty and lazy
Expect the parts alone to cost more than $300 minimum.
Building a portable is an incredibly involving but oh so satisfying process. While I normally will encourage everyone to build a portable, even those with no experience, I do not think this is the project for you. It requires patience, maturity, and dedication, both financial and with your free time. No extensive step by step guide can break it down the process of making a portable to the level of hand holding you are expecting.

I want to stress that the community here is amazing! There are some extremely smart people here that are consistently active and won’t talk down to you but rather be more than willing to help!

When I started on this I was a little overwhelmed by the amount of information around and the lack of a 100% noob proof guide can certainly make the process seem daunting. However, all the information is there if you’re willing to find it. If you, or anyone, decides to go through with something like this I would start by reading through the guide hub multiple times and read the entire noob thread in the wii section. After lots of reading and research and money and time I have a wii motherboard trimmed down to the size of a playing card with my own speakers, display, battery pack and a million other things put onto it that “I” did!

I am excited to have a functioning portable wii to play, but the best part of this for a lot of us is the actual creation process and the immense satisfaction you get of pressing a button and watching the LCD power on and actually work even though you just took a spinning blade to the main board! :)

Good luck.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Yeah, sadly it's not as simple as it sounds.