Question Voltage Questions

MechE

Hey everyone, I have a couple questions about voltages with Wii’s, hopefully someone can help.

For reference, I am using an untrimmed Wii (for budget reasons).

(1) If I’m sticking with the stock regulators, is there anyway to bypass the 12V input and be able to just input the normal 5V (so I can use a normal 7.6V battery pack)?

(2) Assuming that I’m stuck to a 12V input if i don’t use custom regs, should I go for a 3s/11.1V or 4s/14.8V config?

(3) If my screen is 12V input, what is the best way to use it with either the 11.1V or 14.8V battery pack? For the 11.1V, will that be close enough for most 12V screens? And for the 14.8V, should I just use a 12V regulator (the screen says it draws 2A, most of the 12V regs I’ve found are up to 1.5A. Does anyone have a good recommendation, if this is the way to go?)

Thanks for the help!

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
No there's no way if you use the stock regulators. You will have to use a 4s pack (because the voltage will drop as the batteries become discharged). Most screens drop their input voltage to 5v so you can just input the 14.8v directly, but you may want to check the the ratings for the regulator on the driver board.