Video Wiring Misshap

MechX

Hello all,

Wiring the composite video signal to the LCD driver, I noticed I may have bridged the first 3 passive components. Of course I need to rectify this. But, how critical are these three passives? I'm worried during my adding solder, and desoldering process, I may loose some of them. Any tips/guidance would be great? The main reason this happened is I've had to solder the red wire about 5 or 6 times, due to it snagging off when I go to test the screen at the end of this step. Any help is greatly appreciated.
DSC_0016_copy_display.jpg

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The pasives aren't actually needed, you can remove them if you want to make it easier. Just helps to filter the video signal a bit

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The pasives aren't actually needed, you can remove them if you want to make it easier. Just helps to filter the video signal a bit
Some of those components are actually necessary. Removing some of them will seriously affect video quality or it may not work at all.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Hello all,

Wiring the composite video signal to the LCD driver, I noticed I may have bridged the first 3 passive components. Of course I need to rectify this. But, how critical are these three passives? I'm worried during my adding solder, and desoldering process, I may loose some of them. Any tips/guidance would be great? The main reason this happened is I've had to solder the red wire about 5 or 6 times, due to it snagging off when I go to test the screen at the end of this step. Any help is greatly appreciated.
View attachment 15480
I’d recommend soldering to the vias instead of the capacitors and terminating resistors. That way there’s no fear of losing them or breaking the solder joint. As Gman said, the filtering caps and termination resistors are extremely important. You’re likely to get washed out video without them.

MechX

I’d recommend soldering to the vias instead of the capacitors and terminating resistors. That way there’s no fear of losing them or breaking the solder joint. As Gman said, the filtering caps and termination resistors are extremely important. You’re likely to get washed out video without them.
Thanks guys, I managed magically to avoid ruining them. I was just following the guide soldering to the end of the resistor, well that's what it looked like in the picture.
I definitely have composite video working! Just struggling with VGA now. I did the wiring for RGB and H/V Sync. But, the step stating to connect the mode via to 3.3v... I don't seem to see where that is in the images?