Question Video Relocation help

Portables
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
okay, so I've been following along with the wii trimming guide (except for the trimming part), but when I tried soldering the video wires straight to the wii motherboard there was no video output. The screen didn't even recieve a signal!

Here are some pictures (above)

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Oh really? Let me check...

Oh yeah! Your right, I must have been looking at the diagram of the bottom and soldering on the top of my board.
In that case, there is a good chance you wired 12v to your composite line on your screen, which would probably destroy it.

Portables
In that case, there is a good chance you wired 12v to your composite line on your screen, which would probably destroy it.
What would it destroy? The wii? Because the wii still turns on, there is just no video signal. Also the screen still turns on too.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What would it destroy? The wii? Because the wii still turns on, there is just no video signal. Also the screen still turns on too.
The fact that you wired 12v to a data line could have wrecked your screen. Wire it up and try, but you might have ruined it.

Portables
The fact that you wired 12v to a data line could have wrecked your screen. Wire it up and try, but you might have ruined it.
I tried wiring it up correctly but it still doesn't work. I'll try again and then report back...

(By still doesn't work I mean there is still no signal)

-merge posts-

Is the brown wire ground?

Moderator note: Please read the rules, specifically #3.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
If you wired the Wii's 12v to composite input on your screen and turned on the Wii, there is a 99% chance the composite input line on your screen is completely and utterly fried.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Try connecting video from something else, like a DVD player or a different Wii. This way, you can make sure that it's not a screen problem.

Portables
If you wired the Wii's 12v to composite input on your screen and turned on the Wii, there is a 99% chance the composite input line on your screen is completely and utterly fried.
If it is could I use the component signal instead?

-merge posts-

Try connecting video from something else, like a DVD player or a different Wii. This way, you can make sure that it's not a screen problem.
Okay, will do.

-merge posts-

Okay just tested the screen and it still works

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
There's no component video on that screen. I have the exact same one. The video you're probably mixing up with it is VGA, which currently is unusable with Wiis.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Portables
There's no component video on that screen. I have the exact same one. The video you're probably mixing up with it is VGA, which currently is unusable with Wiis.
Oh okay. I'll just hope the AV isn't fried then

-merge posts-

Oh okay. I'll just hope the AV isn't fried then
Okay I resoldered everything and it still doesn't work, so I'm just going to say that it's fried

So if I get another screen with, say, an S-video input I would be able to use the S-video with my wii right?

-merge posts-

Okay I resoldered everything and it still doesn't work, so I'm just going to say that it's fried

So if I get another screen with, say, an S-video input I would be able to use the S-video with my wii right?
Or could I just use a composite to svideo converter?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
@Tech Flare Please stop double posting. Take your time and write out a thorough response before you post, and if you want to add something, use the edit button.

Some of those screens have 2 av inputs, even if they have 1 av port. It might have fried both of them, but see if the little 4 pin connector has 2 AV in lines. If so, see which one of them isn't connected to the av port, and connect your composite video line to that.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Oh, yeah it's got 2! On the bottom the board, there's a solder pin labeled AV2, so solder to that instead.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
But I thought the wii composite pins were fried!
I don't think so.
You likely fried the composite port of the screen. You took 12v from your Wii and put it into your screen, not vice versa. Your Wii is probably fine.

Portables
Oh, yeah it's got 2! On the bottom the board, there's a solder pin labeled AV2, so solder to that instead.
Okay, I'll try soldering that now, but before I do I have a quick question: I should solder to the AV2 and GND pins, correct? Just want to make sure before I screw everything up again.
Also, do you think I could use regular jumper wires (the ones that don't require soldering) to connect the the AV2 pins?