Question VGA vs Wii2HDMI

Ewhizz

Hi guys,
I'm wondering what gives the best resolution and picture quality for my video out option on my wii portable.
VGA or HDMI via a Wii2HDMI. I am not worried about the size of the connector for either just video quality.
Thanks

Also, whenever one signal is converted to another signal, quality is lost. Component video is what we call analog signal. It then has to be converted to a digital signal (the signal HDMI uses). Since some quality is lost in that conversion, the video will not look as nice and crisp. Whatever the chips on the board itself can output is the best signal we are going to get. And since Aurelio made it that the Wii can natively output VGA, that is the best type of analog video signal you can get from your Wii.

Last edited:
Also, whenever one signal is converted to another signal, quality is lost. Component video is what we call analog signal. It then has to be converted to a digital signal (the signal HDMI uses). Since some quality is lost in that conversion, the video will not look as nice and crisp. Whatever the chips on the board itself can output is the best signal we are going to get. And since Aurelio made it that the Wii can natively output VGA, that is the best type of analog video signal you can get from your Wii.
All modern TV's and displays convert the analog signal to a digital signal. So even if you plug the component cables directly into your display, the signal is being converted to a digital signal. The difference with the Wii2HDMI is that it would be handling the conversion rather than your TV. The trouble with that is that your TV likely does a much better job of converting and upscaling the signal than the Wii2HDMI.

This is pretty much the reason why many retro gaming enthusiasts use hardware like the Framemeister to convert and upscale the video signal of retro game consoles. Since the Framemeister does a much better job converting the signals than the vast majority of TVs available.

The best possible options are to have a digital signal source from the Wii (like with the GC+ mod) OR to have a display that natively supports analog signals (like an old CRT display). Otherwise, you will experience a loss in Quality regardless.

Ewhizz

Id probably use VGA then a cable like the one below to convert it to HDMI. Would this give greater quality then using a Wii2HDMi (composite to HDMI)? Also I'm guessing I'd need to complete the VGA patch to have VGA out of my portable?
Thanks

Attachments

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Id probably use VGA then a cable like the one below to convert it to HDMI. Would this give greater quality then using a Wii2HDMi (composite to HDMI)? Also I'm guessing I'd need to complete the VGA patch to have VGA out of my portable?
Thanks
That is a HDMI to DVI cable. Not a VGA cable. Even if it was an HDMI to vga cable, they usually only work one way from HDMI to VGA. VGA patch is the best way to get VGA out on a portable. If you want 480p on a portable screen, the VGA patch is your best bet.