Worklog Various Cosmetic Console Mods

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Okay, since a couple of you requested updates here when I add new stuff, it's time to add my latest projects :)

20180615_202405.jpg
20180826_203659.jpg

For starters, I got a cheap laser engraver. This really opened a lot of doors for what I spent my time on this summer (resin casting buttons) since I can now engrave letters onto otherwise smooth buttons. You can see this in my Gamecube themed 3ds, where I laser etched the resin cast ABXY buttons to be more like the Gamecube ones. I also lasered the Gamecube logo into the top of the 3rd party shell. This worked out surprisingly well since the laser isn't strong enough to engrave clear plastic and instead etched into the purple paint UNDER the clear plastic, creating a sparkly silver effect under a smooth clear top. Totally on accident, but an awesome effect. This doesn't work with OEM shells. For the 3ds slider, I dremelled down a Gamecube joystick cap until it actually fits perfectly on the slider.

20180801_182801.jpg

And because I love the Gamecube, I also made this Gameboy Micro to be GC themed. Again the buttons are resin cast (not engraved though), and the faceplate is a $3 clear faceplate that I painted the back of.

20180809_125839.jpg
20180809_125743.jpg

And because I REALLY love the Gamecube, I also did these joycons lol. The buttons are laser etched and resin cast (again), and the caps are actual GC caps. The shells are just painted, but you guys know how I feel about painted controllers, so I may have a different solution soon.

20180826_184408.jpg

.......Okay I am done with the GC themed things.

20180810_154004.jpg

These are the joycons I use for myself. I made the buttons and added the GCC caps. You'll notice that the c-stick looks a lot nicer here, which is because it's a third party one, not an OEM one. The left cap silicone can literally be just popped off and put on the joycon joystick after you remove it's silicone. The c-stick requires that you sand down the right joystick slightly so that it's a little flatter, and then you can superglue it on. It's not going anywhere.

20180818_202948.jpg
20180813_162041.jpg

One of the side effects of making hundreds of buttons is that you end up with hundreds of buttons, so I added some to a couple controllers I had laying around. The translucent buttons look much nicer with a layer of silver under them to reflect the light back out as shown in the Wavebird.

20180818_211423.jpg

This is @Doom's Sega Genesis that he wanted to be more Sonic-ey. The power light is blue.

20180331_185054.jpg

And here is my Hack Like Heck contest project that I don't think I ever got around to adding on this thread. It's the Hoenn region Pokedex with a Raspberry Pi 3. Thanks to @nobble for improving it after I got burned out on it :D

20180422_184335.jpg

Last but not least, I found that you can sand down the back of clear jewel on 001 model Gamecubes in order to add your own image underneath. This is just a picture I printed out and stuck underneath, this Gamecube will likely become a more advanced future project.

I hope you enjoyed :)