Vacuum Forming or 3D Printing a Case?

Whats better: Vacuum Forming a case, or 3D printing a case?

• Vacuum Forming

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Portables
I'm trying to decide what would be easiest and most efficient for a first project, and here are my thoughts:
Vacuum Forming is nice because you can spend time creating a real mold that you can actually hold. The only issue is setting up a vacuum forming table and all that stuff.
3D Printing is nice because all you have to do is create the case in some 3D modeling program and then print it out, but that's way easier said than done.

Both methods have their pros and cons, and that's why I'm interested in what you guys personally prefer or enjoy most.

Personally, given a high enough resolution machine, I think 3D printing is easily the way to go. The surface finish won't necessarily be as perfect. However, the ability to include more complicated structures as well as supports like struts and screw-posts makes 3D printing superior IMHO.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
I would wager that vaccuum forming is harder than 3D printing. Depends on what you prefer most; woodworking or CAD modeling. Personally I'd rather design and tweak a case for 100 hours than sand epoxy putty or abs slurry for 10 minutes on a frankencase.

Neither are magic though, and take a lot of work to get a good result.