Question Using switch prevents GameCube from powering on...

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
I've got a weird issue. I'm using a 12V battery pack to power my GCP, and because of the way the battery is setup, I had to use a DPDT switch. The battery's Vout shares the same port as the Charging port, so with the GameCube wired to the Vout directly, anytime the battery is charged (even if the switch is off) it pushes power to the GameCube. To prevent this I used a DPDT switch and one side is used for turning the batteries on and the other side has the +voltage going from the battery's Vout to the GameCube.

The issue I'm having is the GameCube only powers on if it is wired directly to the Vout on the battery. If I run it through the switch first, the screen just flickers and the speakers pop. Sometimes you see the GameCube logo but only for a second, then is starts cycling, so it seems like it's not getting enough current. I've run continuity checks on the switch to verify the two pins I'm using are continuous. Why would the switch be limiting the current going to the GameCube?

Here is the switch I'm using: https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Posit...78241&sr=8-4&keywords=illuminated+dpdt+switch
And here is the battery pack I'm using (it is 12V and 3A output: https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-R...d=1542278673&sr=8-6&keywords=12V+battery+pack

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You may be running stuff through the internal light rather than straight through the switch which could cause a voltage drop or whatnot.

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
You may be running stuff through the internal light rather than straight through the switch which could cause a voltage drop or whatnot.
I should have mentioned this but I’m not using the built in light. It’s a high voltage light that wasn’t working with 12V because it’s meant for a boat running off 120V. I ended up gutting the light and putting a regular led in and I have it wired to the battery directly instead of using the switch because I couldn’t get it and the GameCube to both stay on otherwise.

Here’s a picture of the inside of the switch switch
09AA5846-E688-497A-9B12-48F397657E0A.jpeg
There is a metal rocker that connects the middle pin with either the top or bottom pin, and the two sides are independent of each other.

EDIT: I figured out my issue. The switch had nothing to do with it. I wasn’t using a thick enough wire to power the GameCube, so adding the extra wiring for the switch was just enough of a difference to starve the GameCube of power. I replaced the wire with a lower gauge wire and it works now.

Last edited: