Question Use a backup camera?

I got a backup camera off of amazon and hooked the power cables to the 12v pins on the motherboard (I haven't trimmed the board yet) and then just plugged in the av cable into the monitor. The screen powers on and flashes the menu, but I just cant get it all to work correctly. Here is the monitor I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/GreenYi-Vehi...rd_wg=uogOu&psc=1&refRID=51Y5EE176EJR7K6PCBHN
I have no idea if I'm doing this right, this is my first attempt to do anything to my wii other than putting leds in my other wii.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I got a backup camera off of amazon and hooked the power cables to the 12v pins on the motherboard (I haven't trimmed the board yet) and then just plugged in the av cable into the monitor. The screen powers on and flashes the menu, but I just cant get it all to work correctly. Here is the monitor I bought:
https://www.amazon.com/GreenYi-Vehi...rd_wg=uogOu&psc=1&refRID=51Y5EE176EJR7K6PCBHN
I have no idea if I'm doing this right, this is my first attempt to do anything to my wii other than putting leds in my other wii.
Can you give us a bit more info? "but I just cant get it all to work correctly" isn't much to go on. Where exactly did you draw 12v from on the Wii? Did you try plugging the composite cable into both of the screen's AV inputs? Does the Wii display composite video on other monitors/TVs? Also, photos pls.

Right. Here is a picture of it powered on (could snap a pick quick enough of it flashing the home screen) and what I did to wire it up. It worked fine when I plugged it into a TV. I tried both composites on the monitor too, no difference.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Right. Here is a picture of it powered on (could snap a pick quick enough of it flashing the home screen) and what I did to wire it up. It worked fine when I plugged it into a TV. I tried both composites on the monitor too, no difference.
See now, what you've done there, is wire 12v to the positive AND negative wires going to the screen. An electrical circuit is exactly that, a circuit, a loop. It flows in a circle and needs voltage going in, and a ground to exit through. The black wire should be connected to a ground source, like the big pins around the AV socket. Only the red wire should be connected to voltage.

EDIT: I just noticed that your red wire might be touching the pin next to it. You should redo that so it's a bit less dangerous.

Last edited:

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Take a look at this image from the wii trimming guide
av_port (1).png

You have the red (+) wire going to the sensor 12v, which I've been told is NOT regular 12v. You have the black (-) wire going to 12v as well. As Stitches said, you need the red wire on 12v and the black on ground. I would recommend using the soldering pins on the power plug instead of the AV plug, just to make sure you don't accidentally fry your video signals with those wires. You should also have the composite pin going to pin 3 of the av circuit, and (preferably) the ground/shielding for the composite wire going to one of the ground pins on wii.