Question USB issue?

kjc35

IMG_4744.JPG
IMG_4745.JPG
Hi guys,
Have a problem with my Wii cut. It's certainly booting as the CPU gets hot and my screen is receiving a signal because the AV1 shows up, but after that it's a black screen. I'm thinking it's the USB but I'd like to see what you all think before taking the hot glue off and risk taking off a solder point.

SIDENOTE: For USB I used the very last points for USB, past CM1 and CM2. My voltages if they matter are 0.98V, 1.14V, 3.33V

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Hold the reset pin to ground while it boots up. If priiloader shows up, its a USB issue. If it doesn't, its something else.
Smell like U10 shenanigans to me.

kjc35

Hold the reset pin to ground while it boots up. If priiloader shows up, its a USB issue. If it doesn't, its something else.
Smell like U10 shenanigans to me.
You're right, holding the reset pin to ground did nothing. Here's a pic of the U10... did I not cut the trace enough perhaps?
IMG_4746.JPG

Edit: Just tried disconnecting the wire to the U10 for the hell of it, this time the Wii did not turn on (shown by the screen not receiving a signal). So I may be wrong but I wired the U10 back and it did boot, just no PortablizeMii. I'll try resoldering the USB later tonight

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Ah, for some reason I thought by black screen you meant no signal. Probably USB then.
Try twisting your usb data lines together. They are twisted pairs, so twisting them together actually helps reduce interference

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
It appears you soldered on both ports (and they look like they are twisted), did you make sure the USB was in the right port?

kjc35

Ah, for some reason I thought by black screen you meant no signal. Probably USB then.
Try twisting your usb data lines together. They are twisted pairs, so twisting them together actually helps reduce interference
right now, I have both sets of USB ports wired, so pins 2&3 and 6&7. Each pair of wires is twisted, but maybe they're interfering with each other? I wasn't sure which port PM used by default so I hooked up both. Would wiring the ports past the CM1 and CM2 affect anything?

It appears you soldered on both ports (and they look like they are twisted), did you make sure the USB was in the right port?
I tried both ports, no success with either

cheese

Staff member
right now, I have both sets of USB ports wired, so pins 2&3 and 6&7. Each pair of wires is twisted, but maybe they're interfering with each other? I wasn't sure which port PM used by default so I hooked up both. Would wiring the ports past the CM1 and CM2 affect anything?
Nah, I was just checking to see if you tried both ports. PM uses the 6/7 usb port.

kjc35

Welp, rewired the USB port, used different ports, no luck. Still getting a video signal from the Wii, just nothing to actually display. I have a feelings it's something to do with the USB contact points and unfortunately the glue I used made a complete mess of it. Are there any other points besides the ones shown in the trimming guide?
IMG_4747.JPG IMG_4749.JPG IMG_4748.JPG

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Welp, rewired the USB port, used different ports, no luck. Still getting a video signal from the Wii, just nothing to actually display. I have a feelings it's something to do with the USB contact points and unfortunately the glue I used made a complete mess of it. Are there any other points besides the ones shown in the trimming guide?
View attachment 2191 View attachment 2192 View attachment 2193
If it's hot glue you can usually just use some isopropyl alcohol and peel it off.

kjc35

Lifting that wire a bit did nothing, unfortunately. I don't think it was touching that point in the first place.

Just checking, do both 3.3V points shown in the custom regulators section of the trimming guide need to be fed 3.3V, or does only one?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Only one. They're connected internally.

I reread the first post, here are my observations so far:
You're getting a black screen. This means composite and U10 are working. Also means that voltages are also probably fine.

Things you can try:
Holding reset. If you see Priiloader come up, it's USB. It doesn't look like you've tried that yet.
Wait like 15 seconds after booting. Assuming you're using the latest build of PortablizeMii, an error message should come up.

Did you install the nowifi IOSes?

kjc35

Only one. They're connected internally.

I reread the first post, here are my observations so far:
You're getting a black screen. This means composite and U10 are working. Also means that voltages are also probably fine.

Things you can try:
Holding reset. If you see Priiloader come up, it's USB. It doesn't look like you've tried that yet.
Wait like 15 seconds after booting. Assuming you're using the latest build of PortablizeMii, an error message should come up.

Did you install the nowifi IOSes?
I do have the nowifi ioses installed and I did try holding the reset pin (the contact located right next to the U10 contact on the underside of the board right) to GND but nothing happened. Priiloader never showed up, so I'm not sure what could .be causing it

kjc35

The wires are good, those pics I took are just pretty shitty. I'm going to try re wiring everything later today and try it again. Anyone know if there are other points on the Wii for USB data?
Check the compendium. You can find all of the info you need there.

kjc35

Well I just rewired everything today and still nothing. All the voltages seem fine, Wii seems like it's booting up... does the CPU getting warm necessarily mean that the U10 is fine? I'm pretty sure there's nothing wrong with the USB because holding reset doesn't result in Priiloader or an error message. Is there anything else I could try to narrow down the problem or does this just seem like a bad Wii? I know this is really annoying but man I'd like to finish this
BTW the unconnected pin on the U10 is reading 3.3V, not sure if that's what it should be reading or not...

cheese

Staff member
BTW the unconnected pin on the U10 is reading 3.3V, not sure if that's what it should be reading or not...
1 2
If you mean Pin 1 (as in this layout) that should be 3.3v, and when you turn the wii on Pin 2 should also be 3.3v. 3-5 should all be connected together and should be ground.
You can try re-doing the connection on the bottom of the board where the U10 wire goes to the via. Also, the cpu and gpu should get warm fairly quickly if everything is working, but you should also be able to get priiloader to come up if you hold reset to ground...

kjc35

Yeah in your layout 1 is showing 3.3V but when I try to measure the voltage at 2 (with the Wii on) the whole system resets, almost like a short. I did actually put on a new U10 just to see but I'm still getting that black screen. I haven't hooked up audio yet to see if the problem lies with the composite line itself, may be worth doin?