USB-C and the BMS

Hello all, My paranoia may be getting the best of me but I need another pair of eyes on this. The USB-C should be in parallel to the power management board(regulators) and be the output of the 2S-BMS. I feel like something about this is wrong... either it's the output of the BMS for it connects to the 0 and 8.4 V spots respectively (in the smaller picture). Can anyone help me on this matter?

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If the BMS doesn't have separate charging and output pads, the charging current should be applied to the P+ and P- pads on the BMS as you have drawn there. Many basic ones use the P pads for output and charging input.

Last edited:
If the BMS doesn't have separate charging and output pads, the charging current should be applied to the P+ and P- pads on the BMS as you have drawn there. Many basic ones use the P pads for output and charging input.
not gonna lie, I didn't know the P pads could be used for both charging and output. I got to see if the current BMS I have now has compatible pads, Thanks!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
not gonna lie, I didn't know the P pads could be used for both charging and output. I got to see if the current BMS I have now has compatible pads, Thanks!
What BMS is this btw? Is it the red board?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
This is the BMS I drew in the picture. I have to find the datasheet for it since it's been a while. I believe the manufacturer is ACEIRMC
That BMS does not have handling for charge and play, and will require the use of an 8.4v li-ion smart charger. Does the USB-C PD device you plan to use have that capability? A BMS like that will not be able to charge the cells safely with just normal DC current.

That BMS does not have handling for charge and play, and will require the use of an 8.4v li-ion smart charger. Does the USB-C PD device you plan to use have that capability? A BMS like that will not be able to charge the cells safely with just normal DC current.
I was going to be using this. But after checking to see if it is charge&play. I realized it can't even charge li-ion batteries. Do you have any recommendations on a good smart charger?

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I was going to be using this. But after checking to see if it is charge&play. I realized it can't even charge li-ion batteries. Do you have any recommendations on a good smart charger?
Any basic wall power 8.4v li-ion smart charger with a barrel jack will do. Otherwise there are USB-C modules like this one that claim to have smart charge capability, but I haven't seen anyone else use one yet and can't comment on reliability

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So I can just connect the barrel jack to the P+ and P- pinouts on the BMS and have the on off switch in series for charging?
Yeah just wire the barrel jack +/- to P+ and P- directly, and then use a latching switch on the positive wire between the system and the BMS to turn it on/off. The ground wire should be left connected at all times for safety reasons.

Yeah just wire the barrel jack +/- to P+ and P- directly, and then use a latching switch on the positive wire between the system and the BMS to turn it on/off. The ground wire should be left connected at all times for safety reasons.
Awesome, thank you. I want to use a numeric LED display to show off the battery percentage left but I feel like I'd have to use a microcomputer to control all the LEDs. Maybe just using a 4 pined RGB LED would be easier.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Awesome, thank you. I want to use a numeric LED display to show off the battery percentage left but I feel like I'd have to use a microcomputer to control all the LEDs. Maybe just using a 4 pined RGB LED would be easier.
Most digital li-ion fuel gauges you can buy off ebay/amazon have an integrated microcontroller and will just display information when powered

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Just be aware that the gauge will sap some system power as long as it's displaying a reading. It'll probably take off something like 10-20 minutes of playtime if it's always active