Worklog Unnamed GBA DS-Lite Project

This is so cool! Glad to hear You're having some success with the model. I just took a look at the repo again to see what to work on this weekend and I must've fat-fingered the STL out of there.

About the puffy bit, there's one op that needs to be done by hand: dremeling out slots to accept two integrated clips on the inside right above the GBA port.

Diminuendo: Can you scan the speaker you intend on using with graph paper in the background and if possible measure the thickness with calipers? We can add some walls so it doesn't slide around on you.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
The puffy middle bit was my own fault b/c I forgot to take off the plastic boarder around the screen. Fits nice now and looks neat.
dsgba_purple.jpg

(buttons aren't flush because I didn't file anything on account of going to use the 4-button model instead).

Anyways, took off the DS slot and added the speaker, and printed a 4 button case, which is secrets until I file the buttons down this time.

dsgba_nods.jpg

dsgba_speaker.jpg

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Looks amazing. Two crazy ideas. You think it would be possible to have the gba slot relocated inward to make the cart fit flush? And I wonder if clicky buttons could be installed in place of the mushy ones. That would be amazing for things like Metroid zero mission speed running.

Edit: Inb4 someone says DS phat, which is bigger and had an inferior screen

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Looks amazing. Two crazy ideas. You think it would be possible to have the gba slot relocated inward to make the cart fit flush? And I wonder if clicky buttons could be installed in place of the mushy ones. That would be amazing for things like Metroid zero mission speed running.

You'd have to chop away some of the plastic on the sides of the slot to make the cart fit.

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
And I wonder if clicky buttons could be installed in place of the mushy ones.
Should be doable on a Lite. I did exactly that on a phat that had some filthy shoulder buttons that were no longer registering. The phat's shoulders are just side-mounted tacts and were easily replaced with clicky tacts. Face buttons may not be as easy, but I'm sure it can be done.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2

You can make the cart flush, @Akira and I think lovablechevy have done it. I just don't want to lol. I guess eventually cause these are pretty fun to make.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
@geobot9k if you see this, did you happen to design the back part too? Probably wasn't at all necessary and quicker to spraypaint anyway, but I have the perfect two filaments for a NES color designed case so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯