Discussion UltraVGA - Interest Check

Beta

I got mine working yesterday. I didn't get to test much, I used a fritzy console. I'll need to swap over to a less crashy board for further evaluation.

Hey guys, would it be at all possible for me to buy a couple of UltraVGA boards? I was out of the country at the time the spreadsheet went up, with extremely limited internet access and could not have possibly added myself to it in time...

To do low volume (1-10) costs around $85-100 each. I can only get the price down if I get more people together again.

Matthew

Formally known as Chaos
Portables
Well I'm definitely interested in a few as well. Maybe we could start to gauge interest again?

Sorry to double post but I'm still very interested in obtaining an ultraVGA. Given it's been a month since my above post, I just wanted to chime in saying that I'm still hoping to get one of these bad boys. Especially since I just got a new screen in from China that only accepts vga and composite. Maybe someone who bought multiple ultraVGA's can think about selling me one? Please? :oops:

Maybe we could start another interest thread for these again? I'd be interested in one as well, if we had enough people to do them.

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables

@marshallh Just to double check my findings. This picture shows 17 pins on a 24 pin FFC spot. With my continuity tester and a 24 pin FFC to DIP this is the pinout I'm getting. NOTE: my order is inverted to the above picture see attached image.

Pinout As Per FFC to DIP (Inverted to Ultra64 Image):

01 CONT
04 GND
06 VCLK
07 GND
08 /DSYNC
09 D6
10 GND
11 D5
12 D4
13 D3
14 GND
15 D2
16 D1
17 D0
18 /COLD
19 GND
20 3V3
21 3V3
22 3V3
24 GND

DSC01445.JPG

DSC01446.JPG

DSC01447.JPG

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Victory.

Everything seem good except occasionally (every 1-5 minutes) the screen blacks out for half a second then comes back. This could be on my end and not the UltraVGA's fault. The only real issue I've found is the Bomber's Notebook is still a no go zone. From what I understand the N64 switches from 240 to a 480 when you open the notebook and Marshall was still working the bugs out of that one. When I open the Bomber's Notebook it displays perfect for a second then whites out.

DSC01451.JPG

DSC01452.JPG

DSC01449.JPG

DSC01448.JPG

DSC01450.JPG

It should be fine - UltraHDMI eats mode changes for lunch since it was specifially designed for such. I would guess there is some other problem which is probably related to the screen blanking. A pin with bad soldering/contact will still work most of the time except for certain data patterns, etc.

You could leave the OSD showing for several minutes and observe if the OSD also disappears when the screen goes black. The sum total of your wire length is probably on the longish end of what's workable.

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
WTF so I decided to try Bomber's Notebook with the OSD up and it works flawless today. I will have to test further. All I can think of is maybe there was still some residual heat in the parts from soldering (I agree my wire lengths are very long). I originally tested literally right after soldering it together.

DSC01453.JPG

Finished a solution for people using VGA, or who may not want to keep the bulky analog audio part of the N64 mobo.

Name not final

It wires directly to the digital "audio" produced by the RCP, which is sort of a special snowflake i2s-type hybrid. T he Max10 FPGA contains a fractional rate audio resampler to handle this, and a small cpu to control the combo speaker/headphone amplifier.
All you have to do is wire up power, connect your speakers and a couple volume up/down buttons.

I will probably get a group buy going for these soon, they should be pretty inexpensive.

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Sorry to bump a zombie thread but I figured this information is pertinent to the topic here.

I've got this UltraVGA project that has been in limbo for awhile now. I've re-soldered the whole thing over and over again but no dice. The OSD shows no wiring problems under the [ABOUT...] --> [SELF-TEST DIAGNOSTICS...]. The only difference between this project and my previous UltraVGA project is under the [ABOUT] menu the N64 VLCK shows NONE and the current status on the bottom left would flip between 525-60HZ (P) and 525-60HZ (I).

I just woke up in the middle of the night with the solution: the only difference between my previous UltraVGA project and my current one is the wire lengths. My first one is at one extreme with wire lengths around 11 inches and my current has wire lengths around 2 inches. I'm still getting data to appear under the B-CODE and P-CODE on the [ABOUT] menu so I figured the only problem is on the VLCK wire. So I added 5 inches of wire to the VCLK line only and the sync problem is solved. I'm sure you can get away with less wire length but it works now and I can continue working finally.

Previous Project w/ 11 Inch Wire Length

DSC01449.JPG

Current Project /w 2 Inch Wire Length and 7 Inches on the VCLK

DSC01717.JPG

Hey everyone, sorry to bump this thread! Just wondering is it still possible to buy one or more of these boards? If not does anyone have an extra they would like to sell?

Smol boi is back, and this time with full audio integration

Using 49450, supports headphone jack + stereo speakers, volume up/down, IGR

Multiple footprint options. You can solder a headphone jack directly to the pcb on the back, or solder to wires, or plug in a FFC (the pinouts will be provided)

The volume buttons can also be plugged in via FFC or simply soldered on.

If anyone has feedback on what FFC design for hte main RCP connection works best, I'll see about making some. For now it solders up directly as before.
PXL_20210202_003730927.jpg