Discussion UltraVGA - Interest Check

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
What screens are you guys planning on using? I wanted to try this one because of the tiny driver board:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/2300

Suggestions on a 7 inch screen and the smallest driver board you can think of?
I bought this one because its 4:3 and pixel perfect for the UltraVGA's output of 640x480. Its 5 inch but basically the same size vertically as a 7 inch wide screen.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/VGA-AV-Lcd-Co...3A7bc8a20115b0a35713bf76acfff44923%7Ciid%3A15

Damn is there any possibility that more will be produced in the future? I just found and joined this site and this is one of the first things I saw. I would love to pick up like 4-5 if any more are planned.

All orders have been shipped.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

1. Using hot air, remove FFC connector. Add flux and wick off any remaining solder from its pads, you don't want any shorts.

2. Solder 17 wires from the pads hidden by the connector onto your N64.

Onto the RCP right side:

You need at least 2 grounds connected to the RCP. 3V3 can be connected by at least 2 wires from either the RCP points or a capacitor near it.

3. Solder the CONT pad to the controller tap point.

Refer to the UltraHDMI quick start for operation.
http://ultrahdmi.retroactive.be/installer_files/quick_start.pdf

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
That there is my favourite screen and board. They work so well.

I'll ask this again, if we do not receive the FFC as part of our purchase, is there a way to order it separately?

Luke

Portables

Noah

retired
Portables
He's talking more specifically about the flex cable included with UltraHDMI kits that has solder pads which line up with the pins on the RCP.

Marshall might not even have the quantity needed to sell flex to all who might want it because they are produced with the batches of UHDMI AFAIK. The wire install is actually easier and probably better suited for those here. If everyone who bought VGA was to get a flex and then even 1/3 of the people messed up and needed another then it would just create a bigger headache for Marshall in the long run. Better off and easier not offering it with this product at all.

Also keep in mind that he produced and sold these to us for whatever the cost of parts was. We're all super lucky that he went out of his way to do that and do it cheaply enough to get the response we did in the first place. Asking him to sell extra flex (even if he makes a profit on them) is a bit greedy IMO.

It's greedy to ask what is included in my purchase?

I appreciate Marshallh is doing a very good deal for us but I'm simply asking for clarification of if the custom FFC is included, and if not, may I pay him money to order them as a separate sale.

Personally, when I put the money down I thought the FFC was included, as there was a FFC connector soldered to the board, I asked for clarification, and, from the looks of the likes two other members had the same question.

I have not questioned the quality of Marshallhs work nor his generosity at any point.

I will say this though Noah, Marshallh is more qualified to speak for what he is able to offer.

Last edited:
Flex is not included. I use the connector for testing and provisioning. I can't sell the flex because not only is it a big hassle for me to deal with shipping and payment for basically no profit ,I don't have enough flex.
If you wanted, you could buy a cable off digikey to plug in and then run very short wires from the end to the RCP.

Noah

retired
Portables
You need one for the rcp, not the video encoder. Or am I confused?
Either or. The digital signals run from the RCP to the encoder so they can be tapped from either source. That particular little flex is for a post rev 4 RGB mod if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah, Tim Worthingtons RGB mod is pretty comparable to the UltraHDMI, it even has a deblur option.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I'm not claiming Tims mod has the same polish, but if you are a fan of CRTs it is a reasonable alternative.

Could you please expand on your statement Shank?

Noah

retired
Portables
Eh, Tim's board is more like using a GCVideo on the N64. It works, and deblur is an added bonus, but there is no upscaling or any kind of extra features that the UHDMI can offer.

So I guess I'd personally call it a "I can't afford UltraHDMI but still want better video out of my 64" solution.

Upscaling would be pointless on a CRT though, It's a completely unneeded feature for that application.

Some users may also prefer to use an external scaler .

Downing

Basement Owner
Portables
20ish...
Not had the chance and probably won't for awhile. I just wanted to have them on hand for the future!

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I'm waiting on parts from china. I don't want to risk messing up these UltraVGA's.

FFC Breakout.png

24pin FFC.png