Discussion UltraVGA - Interest Check

Miceeno

2020 3rd Place Winner
Portables
I like the larger soldering pads on the Nintendo 64 Advanced board. It seems more portable friendly. If you want to stick to FFC then I'd like to see a small breakout that can easily be soldered to the RCP that gives the same FFC connector as the UltraVGA so any FFC ribbon can be used (so we can source our own custom length).

Will this newer version have any kind of buffering to solve the issue I found above where I had to add 5 inches of extra wire to the VCLK line?

And how soon will these be available?

IMG_20200704_214239_1080x.jpg

I looked at your previous wiring and the major issue I see is no return paths on the data signals. There should be at least 2 and preferably more ground wires mixed in with the rcp signals. These wires should be physically close to the signals (especially VCLK) and all of the same length. In your case, the loop area of the current return path is very large since it has to go through another grounding wire far from the signal lands. At this point there will be a reflections along the wiring and signal integrity will be not great. That you added 5 inches effectively phase shifted the clock which is already synchronous with the data. You shouldn't need this at all

The boards are already produced. Instead of a group buy I will probably sell them through Noah or whoever wants to buy a fair number at a time. I can't say when this will be as this takes almost last priority over the other projects I've got going on right now, and there are many.

Regarding the UltraVGA, if I use it in a portable my only option for hdmi out to a tv would be to convert the vga signal to hdmi right? Also would this effect the image quality?

Smol boi is back, and this time with full audio integration

Using 49450, supports headphone jack + stereo speakers, volume up/down, IGR

Multiple footprint options. You can solder a headphone jack directly to the pcb on the back, or solder to wires, or plug in a FFC (the pinouts will be provided)

The volume buttons can also be plugged in via FFC or simply soldered on.

If anyone has feedback on what FFC design for hte main RCP connection works best, I'll see about making some. For now it solders up directly as before.View attachment 15840
how do i get an ultra Vga?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
how do i get an ultra Vga?
I don't believe they're available for sale anymore. It was a closed source project by Marshall that seems to have run its course. Some new units enter circulation every so often, but you can't buy them or make one yourself

I don't believe they're available for sale anymore. It was a closed source project by Marshall that seems to have run its course. Some new units enter circulation every so often, but you can't buy them or make one yourself
really? well thanks, knowing what the resistors are I can design one, do you know the components?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
really? well thanks, knowing what the resistors are I can design one, do you know the components?
Nope, I have no clue of the BOM. I know it uses a big FPGA chip, but that's about it. The UltraVGA also uses custom firmware, which you would have to recreate yourself from scratch

Portables
Hate to resurrect an old thread but did this come already flashed with the firmware? I have one and want to use it in a build but don't know much about it. I got it from a friend who was in the scene a long time ago. Just want to make sure it'll work before I try to go through the effort of installing it.

Y2K

"The PS1 Guy"
Staff member
Hate to resurrect an old thread but did this come already flashed with the firmware? I have one and want to use it in a build but don't know much about it. I got it from a friend who was in the scene a long time ago. Just want to make sure it'll work before I try to go through the effort of installing it.
Just asked Marshall, if you got a board from them then they were tested before they were sent out, so you should be good to install it.