U10 TO GPU Pin soldering isue

MechX

Hi all,
So I'm doing my U10 relocation to U5, and I'm having a bit of trouble with soldering to the via for the jumper wire.
I've tried adding flux, and just trying to get solder on the via to no success. I've also tried soldering a tinned magnet wire - to again, no success.
Is there any other way to access this signal? Or any tips here, I've soldered to vias before and even this one! on another board - I had no issue with this particular task last time, but for somereason it's an issue now!

Kindest regards and many thanks,

Leon.

I just went through this. I found my issue. I was burning the enamel of the wire instead of using solder. So the solder would never really stick until I used solder to burn it like it says in the guide. Also I had to change my solder tip from a skinny point to a slightly more blunt. I also had to up the temp slightly on my iron. I put it to 360 degrees. I also had to remove all the Flux with ipa as well, before the solder would work correctly. (Had to much)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you have a razor blade or scalpel handy, you can try carefully scraping more solder mask off the via to expose more copper. Also, the recommended trick is to shove the magnet wire into the hole of the via and use a solder blob to kinda shlorp it in. Makes it a bit easier than trying to rest the wire on top

MechX

I just went through this. I found my issue. I was burning the enamel of the wire instead of using solder. So the solder would never really stick until I used solder to burn it like it says in the guide. Also I had to change my solder tip from a skinny point to a slightly more blunt. I also had to up the temp slightly on my iron. I put it to 360 degrees. I also had to remove all the Flux with ipa as well, before the solder would work correctly. (Had to much)
Thanks for your response. I think I'll try changing to a flatter tip. I have been cycling between applying flux, cleaning with IPA and reattempting!
What worked for me was scraping it with a scalpel.

MechX

If you have a razor blade or scalpel handy, you can try carefully scraping more solder mask off the via to expose more copper. Also, the recommended trick is to shove the magnet wire into the hole of the via and use a solder blob to kinda shlorp it in. Makes it a bit easier than trying to rest the wire on top
The scalpel definitely seemed to help. I think shoving it into the via hole would be better for strength too.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The scalpel definitely seemed to help. I think shoving it into the via hole would be better for strength too.
It's definitely stronger, neater too. No risk of shorting to other vias