Solved U10 relocation help

While I was removing the u10 one of the pins broke off, so I'm just wondering if it would still work.
Screenshot_20180505-152411.png

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Im not sure, but U9 serves the exact same function. You can use it instead. Just short the 2 pins where the U9 used to be.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
That botched u10 should still work, those three pins are just connected to Ground, because you can short them and you'll still be fine(just those three pins though)

that's wrong, don't reference

Last edited:
That botched u10 should still work, those three pins are just connected to Ground, because you can short them and you'll still be fine(just those three pins though)
Yeah I was thinking that, just wanted to clarify before soldering down.
Also another questions, could someone explain in more detail what trace am I cutting before soldering on the u10

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Yeah I was thinking that, just wanted to clarify before soldering down.
Also another questions, could someone explain in more detail what trace am I cutting before soldering on the u10
It's pretty clearly shown on the trimming guide. If you haven't trimmed the board yet follow the trace back to a via and you can check continuity with the pad to make sure you have the right one, cut the trace and ensure there's no continuity after the cut.

Okay so I did the relocation with the u9 (because one of my u10's pins broke off) And it isn't working, it's showing the red and green light when turning on, but my TV shows no signal.
Screenshot_20180505-195843.png
Screenshot_20180505-195810.png

Is the board trimmed?
Is there continuity between the solder blob and gnd?
Is there continuity between the input pin (not the one with the wire) to 3.3v?
Does 3.3v appear on the output pin?
Are you sure the trace is cut?
  • Board isn't trimmed
  • Yes there is continuity between the solder blob and gnd
  • Yes there is continuity between the input pin and 3.3v
  • The output pin shows 3.376v
  • Yes I know the trace is cut because the pad and the vias the trace is connected to doesn't have continuity when they did before chtticuthe tace
  • (Also earlier I had my wire connected to the wrong gpu vias but now it's in the correct spot, could of that harmed the GPU in anyway?)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Just for future reference, that is 100% wrong. If any pins on the U9/10 are missing it will not work. We short those pins together because they need to be connected together, not because we can.

(Also earlier I had my wire connected to the wrong gpu vias but now it's in the correct spot, could of that harmed the GPU in anyway?)
Most likely not, but it's possible. Try shorting the output to ground momentarily after turning the system on.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
So you now have your U10/U9 wire going to the via circled in red, yes?
via.PNG

So I've just been stupid and didn't solder my wire to the correct vias :facepalm: and now it's working, but still in the process of trying to fix the problem, you guys helped point out other problems that would of caused it not to work even with the correct GPU vias.