Question U10 relocation (6 layer) still salvageable?

Hello! newbie here.

I've been reading around the forums for a while and decided to try Noldendo's Wii Miicro as my first project. I've never really touched a soldering iron before this project and recently got one from sparkfun (adjustable temp) along with some other tools. The iron came with a new (sharp tip) which is why there are so many scratch marks (I don't think it cut any traces, still need to check) but I installed BBloader, got some games working, no issues there. Disassembled the Wii, successfully removed the Gamecube memory ports. I went to go desolder U5 and got a bit to excited with solder wick and realized i might have took too much solder with it.

Is there a way to add back solder with some flux paste? is that even recommended? I haven't touched U10 or U9 so I know those are salvageable, but is it worth continuing with this board?

IMG_0093.PNG

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You SHOULD be fine. First, use flux to clean that up. If you don't have flux, buy flux. The 3 legs of the U10 (the bottom side in this picture) should all be shorted together with a big blob and have continuity to ground. Run the U10 wire as normal. The one difference is you need to run a 3.3v wire to the other leg of the U10. So again:
1: Clean up the solder with flux
2: Solder U10 as normal
3: Run a wire from 3.3v to the other leg of the U10

Thanks Shank! Will try asap.

Last question about U10. As I understand it, on the 4 layer board, a trace is cut which allows the top right arm of U10 to reconnect elsewhere, but I couldn't find any information about cutting a trace on a 6 layer board? All the other info for relocating seem to be there, but is cutting the trace necessary on a 6 layer board? I would think from reading about the 4 layer boards, cutting the blue circle would be enough, but should I be safe and extend the cut to the red circle?

IMG_0094.jpg

Portables
In the making
I see you tried following manlos tutorial that is really fucked up and will mess up use this if you do not have hot air. Those pads are just for structure and if you connect one to 3.3V other to the via and all 3 pins are bridged you will be fine

Ok awesome! that video looks like a way easier method haha

thanks for sharing!