Worklog trying to make a portable wii

duncan

I'm working on a wii and when i tried to power it on it made a tick sound and then sits off immediately. can any one tell me whats wrong with it?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'm working on a wii and when i tried to power it on it made a tick sound and then sits off immediately. can any one tell me whats wrong with it?
That could literally be anything. In order to help you we need to know everything you have done and pictures help too. Are you powering it from a DC power supply? Are you using batteries? Are they charged? Is the Wii motherboard trimmed?

duncan

I am useing the the power brick that came With the wii and i have not trimed it the only thing i have done so far is try to desoder the usb and gc ports. My hand did slip but didnt hit any thing and the led turns from red to green for a spit second before shuting off. here are the pics
IMG_0078.jpg
IMG_0077.jpg
IMG_0075 (1).jpg
IMG_0076 (1).jpg

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I've had this exact issue before. This happened to a stock board of mine after I dropped a piece of metal on the regs. If you hold the power button down does it go tick-tick-tick-tick-tick? If so, I would assume that the board itself is fine but the regs are screwed. The regs are pretty sensitive, complicated, and not well documented, so there isn't much you can do.

I'm pretty sure your board should be able to still work off of custom regulators.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Also your desoldering on the ports looks messy. It could be causing a short.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Also your desoldering on the ports looks messy. It could be causing a short.
Yea a short could cause it too. The 2901chip is detecting a problem and is shutting the power systems down.

duncan

do you think you could give me some tips for a first timer anything could help me now

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
do you think you could give me some tips for a first timer anything could help me now
It is very likely it is not turning on due to a short. You can use a multimeter to see if any of the connections on the ports are creating a short. You could use your soldering iron to clean up the connections and use some rubbing alcohol to clear away the flux.

duncan

what battery should i get right now i have a duracell ultra 12V 1.3Ah should i use a different one? and are there any simple trims that i could do