Discussion Trimming Further

Noah

retired
Portables
Bud pushed the N64 to the known limits at the time. I've got quite a collection of revisions here and over the next few weeks I'll be trying trims that go smaller than what we've seen so far.

More to come later...

Sounds kind of convoluted but I think it could help you a lot. About 2 years ago (I think) Bacteria from MBB, a now dead forum, did a bunch of cuts on an N64 that he got very small by bending a few spots similar to the cart slot bend. Someone did a full dump of the site (I think it was Downing) and they uploaded it to MEGA. I think you'll need the firefox extension since this file is over 1GB but once you have it you can hopefully find his threads about his findings.

https://mega.nz/#!6Io0UTRB!A0suhOBwaJqa6dmj42sQsZXV1LoFq_-w1A8Ex73hW4U

best of luck

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I remember that and I was following that thread. He never posted any pictures and didn't make any successful documented progress.

Noah

retired
Portables
Sat down and took a look at the N64 tonight. Used Beta's old N64 compendium and I think this trim should be easily doable with some relocating.

Mind you that's relocating the video chip, PIF, audio amp as well as the 7805.

Of course by getting rid of the expansion slot you could take it further as well.

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
That's crazy man, let's see you do it now!

Noah

retired
Portables
That's crazy man, let's see you do it now!
I'll be working on all of the relocating stuff this week. I need to test the 2.45v regulator and see if we can get a steady voltage without any of the resistors on there. After that, that entire area of the board can be cut off.

PIF looks like relocating to the back would be easiest. Most of the pins go right to the cartridge slot, 3 to go vias next to the RCP which run through and through.

The video encoder will just basically be rewiring the left half of it to the video chip. Audio amp also has some nice vias next to the RCP.

This is all in theory, of course. However, I think it's very possible and can really help cut down the size of the board.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
You could also probably do a tiny board bend on the far left to save a bit more space.

bud

DAT ASS
Portables
13+-ish Can't remember ;P
It was possible to go smaller than I used to, just not worth the effort. The amount of work and time troubleshooting didn't justify the slightly smaller size.

We need board redesigns.

I remember seeing a thread on MR where someone had redesigned the n64 board but I dont think anything came of it. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
Marshall was doing one as well but I just saw a printout of a board on paper. It was coupled with that xboxen controller case he just had up on MR so probably nothing came of that either.

IMO I don't think n64 clone hardware will ever be a thing (since everything is android core now or w/e) but we'll see. Last time I bugged hyperkin about it I wasn't essentially told no like the past few times.

Noah

retired
Portables
It was possible to go smaller than I used to, just not worth the effort. The amount of work and time troubleshooting didn't justify the slightly smaller size.

We need board redesigns.
Yeah, especially with the Rev 3. There are too many things you'd need to relocate which is part of the reason I abandoned the project for the lower revisions. relocating the video encoder caused a lot of interference which resulted in lower quality images (not to mention the fact that you have to get the wire length just right or it doesn't work.) With the higher revs it'd be a little more practical since the encoder is bundled in with that other IC and you can cut right up to it. Do a PIF relocation and you're golden. Yet, where do you draw the line for how practical it is to trim an extra .25" off? Of course with the higher revs you can trim a lot further, however they are highly undocumented and don't have compendiums for themselves which will hopefully change soon.

A board redesign would be lovely, however it's a tad hard when considering which revision to base it off of. @Doom supposedly Mega said that he actually has one for development purposes so it's probably got headers all over the place and stuff.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
We need Ashen to come up with a way to bend the chips.

Noah

retired
Portables
Hey everyone, Ashen here. Today I'm going to be showing you my newest method in portablizing. (crunching noises follow)

N64 in a tic-tac container. Some clowns on other forums said it wasn't possible.

end

Noah

retired
Portables
Yes. Bending the cart slot for this trim would be essential. I haven't tested most of the trim itself as of yet because some other projects took priority but I can confirm that the video encoder can be relocated. Obviously it'll be easier on a rev. 5 and up since the two video processing ICs were combined into one, but it's still doable on an older board.

couldn't you cut the section off (the cart slot area) and solder the port back on from the back of the motherboard? bending is a lot faster and quicker to do, but if you're shooting for smallest just wondering.