Question Trim help

I trimmed my wii(6layer) but now it won't power on plz help.could this likely be caused by not sanding with the right grit? Or did I just cut something important? Unless I have to if rather not do the omgwtf trim. This trim will fit fine in my case.

Attachments

Last edited:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
What grit of sandpaper did you go up to when you sanded the edges? Also, the sharp corners (eg near power button and SD card) are hard to properly sand, so make sure to sand them extra good. Does the red light come on, and does it do anything if you press the power button? What voltages are you putting into the power input? Do you have any ground wires hooked up? There are many possibilities as to what could be wrong.

Just pulled some old sandpaper from garage. I'll have to go get me some 600 grit. As of now I am using the original power supply. Soldered up a usb port, A/V display and wires for power(could the gauge of the wires cause this?).

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Try sanding it with higher grit sandpaper and get back to me with more info as to what happens.

Try sanding it with higher grit sandpaper and get back to me with more info as to what happens.
Cheese, mind answering this one thing that confuses me? If you say higher grit do you mean from 600 to 800 or from 600 to 400.. This might be a weird question but like the fact that higher gauge wire means it's getting thinner it's just confusing to me (as a European/Dutchy) since here everything that goes up mostly gets bigger (though our sand paper grit is the same though we refer to 'more fine 600' or 'more rough 50' etc)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Cheese, mind answering this one thing that confuses me? If you say higher grit do you mean from 600 to 800 or from 600 to 400.. This might be a weird question but like the fact that higher gauge wire means it's getting thinner it's just confusing to me (as a European/Dutchy) since here everything that goes up mostly gets bigger (though our sand paper grit is the same though we refer to 'more fine 600' or 'more rough 50' etc)
600 to 800. Higher grit means a higher number means gotta get dat fine paper.

its been a while but i finally sanded my board with as high as 1000 grit paper I am still having the same problem. I solder wires from the stock power port so i can plug in my stock power supply and no light comes on. to test even further i solders wires for av video out. No display is shown. I did at some point connect power where it probably shouldn't have been connected. Next to the power port the nearest component seams to be a capacitor (rectangle). Can anyone tell me what the capacitance should be so I can test to see if it is bad? This is off topic But I also wonder what the best option is to power my wii with batteries(smaller than a brick) without custom regulators?

Shank

Staff member
Portables

Shank

Staff member
Portables
You probably also severed some internal voltage connections, and the regulators aren't detecting proper voltage and are shutting off. If thats the case, you are out of luck because the inner voltage workings of the 6 layer boards (one you are using) are not documented. Your best bet to save this board would be to use a standard OM6 trim.

14.8v Lithium Ion battery pack.
Easiest 2 options would be:
Battery space premade pack (expensive but easiest)
4 18650 cells (buy 2 of these 2 packs) and a holder with built in protection (less expensive, but still easy)
4 18650 cells wired in series by yourself with a protection circuit. (hardest)
Would that 4 cell holder have a way to charge them or will I have to pull the cells and put them in a wall charger piece?

-merge posts-

You probably also severed some internal voltage connections, and the regulators aren't detecting proper voltage and are shutting off. If thats the case, you are out of luck because the inner voltage workings of the 6 layer boards (one you are using) are not documented. Your best bet to save this board would be to use a standard OM6 trim.
OM6? can you point me in that right direction? is that same as omg?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Please use the edit button rather than double posting.
Would that 4 cell holder have a way to charge them or will I have to pull the cells and put them in a wall charger piece?
If you use a 14.8v charger, you can connect it to the positive and negative leads of the holder, and charge them all at once.
OM6? can you point me in that right direction? is that same as omg?
Its essentially the OMGWTF trim, but for 6 layer boards like the one you are using. Here is a link to the guide.

Please use the edit button rather than double posting.

If you use a 14.8v charger, you can connect it to the positive and negative leads of the holder, and charge them all at once.
does that 4 cell holder have charge and discharge protection? If not how would I protect them. Would i have to get a charger special for them or could i just use any old 14.8v Ac adapter

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
does that 4 cell holder have charge and discharge protection? If not how would I protect them. Would i have to get a charger special for them or could i just use any old 14.8v Ac adapter
It has a protection PCB yes. You need a 14.8v li-ion smart charger to charge it safely. A normal DC power supply will damage the cells and risk fire.

It has a protection PCB yes. You need a 14.8v li-ion smart charger to charge it safely. A normal DC power supply will damage the cells and risk fire.
any links to a charger(US) that is convenient to carry around and will do the job?

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
any links to a charger(US) that is convenient to carry around and will do the job?
While you could get away with one of these cheapos, I'd recommend a Batteryspace smart charger. (No cell balancing, but won't break the bank either.) I have this one but this one is just about as good.