Question Tips for adding common parts to case design

I'm currently working on a Wii Portable design. I haven't done much 3D modeling or CAD work before, but when I did and I needed something like a USB port or HDMI port on a case, I'd end up grabbing a model for it, lining that up, then extruding through the case model to have the exact hole. In cases where I can't just get a model, I find myself looking up measurements and roughly adding a hole of that size. Is that the right way to go about such a thing? How do any of you usually go about adding the more common outer stuff, like audio jacks, USB ports, button holes, etc. to cases for a portable? I have a method that I guess works, but it doesn't really feel like it's the right method. Where to position these holes is also something I struggle with, but I guess that's more design preference than anything else. Any tips would be really appreciated.

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
I'm currently working on a Wii Portable design. I haven't done much 3D modeling or CAD work before, but when I did and I needed something like a USB port or HDMI port on a case, I'd end up grabbing a model for it, lining that up, then extruding through the case model to have the exact hole. In cases where I can't just get a model, I find myself looking up measurements and roughly adding a hole of that size. Is that the right way to go about such a thing? How do any of you usually go about adding the more common outer stuff, like audio jacks, USB ports, button holes, etc. to cases for a portable? I have a method that I guess works, but it doesn't really feel like it's the right method. Where to position these holes is also something I struggle with, but I guess that's more design preference than anything else. Any tips would be really appreciated.
Seems like you’ve got the right idea. Obviously the best solution is to try and see if you can find a model of the part you want to use. Rather than extruding the case with the model itself, I like to draw a sketch on the face and offset the part by about 0.05mm just so that you have a little bit of wiggle room to play with. In fusion you can project faces from the internal parts onto the outside faces.

I’d recommend placing all of the peripheral parts first in your case since these cannot move. Once you’ve positioned your headphone jack, charging port and other parts, you can then design your case around these. Particularly with PCB designs, the best practice I find is to position these immediately on the board and then place other components nearby. I’d invest in a good set of mechanical/electronic calipers as well. I have one with a needle gauge and works wonderfully for precise measurement.

Last edited:
Seems like you’ve got the right idea. Obviously the best solution is to try and see if you can find a model of the part you want to use. Rather than extruding the case with the model itself, I like to draw a sketch on the face and offset the part by about 0.05mm just so that you have a little bit of wiggle room to play with. In fusion you can project faces from the internal parts onto the outside faces.

I’d recommend placing all of the peripheral parts first in your case since these cannot move. Once you’ve positioned your headphone jack, charging port and other parts, you can then design your case around these. Particularly with PCB designs, the best practice I find is to position these immediately on the board and then place other components nearby. I’d invest in a good set of mechanical/electronic calipers as well. I have one with a needle gauge and works wonderfully for precise measurement.
Wow, this is great advice! Thank you so much! I'll definitely take all that into consideration with my modeling. I've been doing it pretty haphazardly, but I'm gonna go back to it and start with the peripherals like you said. I'll also look into the calipers. Thanks for the help!