Worklog The Wrinklii or Steamii

Portables
1 Woodii
Just thought I'd dump everything I've been working on here, what I've got so far is a G-wii clone with most of the basic features to still be considered functional and a lot of paint.

Features so far:
- OMGWTF trim
- USB-C
- 128gb micro sd card, Kingston adapter combo
- 4 Samsung 18650 lithium-ion batteries
- RVL PMS without an exploded U7
- GC+2.0
- U-AMP
- Half the buttons and half the playability
- 3d printed G-wii case caked in blue Rustoleum
- 4 coats of Polyurethane clear coat to protect the blue paint

Planned:
- Speakers attached to the U-AMP
- Switching from AV to VGA
- Rumble
- A headphone jack
- All the buttons
- Possibly a better case (scroll past next 3 pictures for context)

IMG_9233.jpg
IMG_9234.jpg
IMG_9235.jpg

So before I made the case I didn't know a whole lot about spray-painting, I didn't realize until after the fact that it looked a little... Wrinklii. It sort of looks good in its own way which is why I decided to roll with it this far but I am considering scrapping the case entirely to design something new.

Indroducing, the Steamii.

It's just a rough sketch so far and I realize that someone else made a similar build using the steam controller's d-pad, but I haven't seen anyone made a case inspired by the shape of the controller.
No guarantees, but if I learn to use fusion 360 I might go this route.

IMG_9236.jpg
IMG_9237.jpg

Last edited:
Portables
1 Woodii
Update: I ended up reprinting the g-wii case with some wood pla. The wrinkly case definitely needed to go and I’m saving the Steamii design for another project.

C4490816-EAB6-4F35-8F9A-F577F09DE42F.jpeg

B1AE12E1-6A44-4565-8A3A-31F2C802397B.jpeg

Even if it’s not unique, I’m really happy with the look and feel of the wood case. The build now has rumble, sound, and all the button hooked up except for Z2 which I’m going to place in the center of the d-pad.

All that‘s left to do is connect the headphone jack and switch to VGA!

Portables
1 Woodii
So I hooked up vga but I’m getting the purple screen problem despite turning down the green channel, does anyone know if this is a wiring issue?
C4AF58FB-1DCF-491E-BABB-BA6A8AE1D8EC.jpeg

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I really like that woodfill case. The wrinkled blue looks pretty neat too. I cant tell if the texture was the paint shriveling up under the layers or done on purpose, either way it is cool looking.

Portables
1 Woodii
I decided to add a GC controller port which works but not too long after the portable stopped turning on unless I plugged and unplugged the charger. For whatever reason, the problem disappeared the day after but I'm not sure why it was a problem at all. At the time I thought it was some sort of short.

Other than that I only have to add a headphone jack, maybe Bluetooth and an MX chip, and my portable is basically done.
Now it's just a couple miscellaneous problems:
- the portable turns off completely if I try and charge and play
- rumble turns on when I boot a game and doesn't stop until something in-game triggers rumble
- the led turns on when I start up the console but turns off completely even if I try tapping the power button
- the led used to emit a dim red light when plugged in to indicate that it's charging but now it doesn't do that
- most of these problems were probably something I messed up

1F81177D-2868-44BB-AC41-30B9056755B9.jpeg

A6810D44-F14B-4282-A380-9ADF7AE95AE3.jpeg

A6771631-E89D-42B7-AB9B-81DDD8A912A4.jpeg

7D97B4D1-5DE0-466D-8AEA-F386A380FA3F.jpeg

Last edited:
Portables
1 Woodii
OK, so I got the Bluetooth and headphone jack working, but I kinda got a new problem I couldn't figure out.

I replaced the BQ and solved the charging problem I had in the last post but sometime between now and then I started to have voltage problems. When I turn the console on the green light immediately turns red even when the batteries are fully charged at 3.6v. Anything below 3.5v and when I play any game the console randomly turns off or reboots. Sometimes games work but it isn't consistent.

I measured the voltage when the console is on and the battery voltage drops from 3.6v-3.5v to 3.2v-3.1v. So far I have tried switching out the batteries, PMS, USB-C, disconnecting the screen, GC+, GC controller port, and the ground for the Wii and I still get the same results.

I'm honestly not sure what the problem is but my best guess now is that there is resistance on the solder joints and wires from soldering them too much. Does anyone else have any idea what's going on before I replace every wire?

Hello,

A fully charged li-ion battery should be at 4.2V and when discharged it should be at 3.2V minimum.
I guess there is a security and the PMS turn of at this voltage.
There could be some more issues, the vdrop is concerning,

Portables
1 Woodii
Hello,

A fully charged li-ion battery should be at 4.2V and when discharged it should be at 3.2V minimum.
I guess there is a security and the PMS turn of at this voltage.
There could be some more issues, the vdrop is concerning,
As far as I can tell the vdrop is probably a short I haven’t seen or too much resistance on the wires. The batteries I have are rated for 3.6v max and are brand new so there shouldn’t be any problems with them.

Although, when I disconnected the gc+ the voltage jumped up 0.15v so I’m thinking there might be some problem there.

Can you post a link to those batteries? The nominal tension of li-ion battery is 3.6-3.7V because it is a middle ground for calculating the capacity, but it goes from 4.2/4.2v to 3.2v usually.

Portables
1 Woodii
Can you post a link to those batteries? The nominal tension of li-ion battery is 3.6-3.7V because it is a middle ground for calculating the capacity, but it goes from 4.2/4.2v to 3.2v usually.