Worklog The WiiTop. An Uncreatively named Wii, inside of a laptop shell! (My first Wii portable! :O)

Preface
This is my first attempt at really anything 'diy'. I'm looking to make a more portable and accessable Wii. It doesn't need to be hand held, mearly a replacement for my dead laptop. A gaming machine I can take on the go to a friends house or other parts of my house that don't normally have a tv.
Design
I'm attempting to keep as much of the shape of the original laptop as possible. I'll be cutting out small portions of the edge for connectors but that's hopefully it. After some test fitting, all main components should fit with room to spare.
Goals
  • Pack all main components (- disk drive casing) inside of the shell of my old laptop
  • Do it all for as little cost as possible
  • avoid having to solder or trim any boards with a few exceptions (don't want to risk breaking anything as i don't trust myself yet)
  • allow connection to external screen, as well as keep all 4 game cube controller ports and memory card slots for 4 player capabilities
  • Install the leds from a sensor bar into the screen casing to allow use of the Wiimote
  • Figure out how batteries work! (this is a big one XD
Features
This wii portable will keep all main features of the standard Wii (besides disk drive functionality). Wifi/bluetooth, audio/video out etc. I'll also add speakers, as well as headphone out. and keep the usb connectors acessable where games will be stored on a small flash drive.

As this is my first build, i'll happily take any and all suggestions!

Edits

Edit 1
I'm aware i need the board from the disk drive! :D I plan to fit it overtop the wii board using something for insulation (possibly just a thin rubber sheet)

Last edited:
First thing I've done is a test fit of the board inside the laptop housing.

In a few weeks, i should have the money to get the batteries as well as the circuitry for them and the screen. After that i'll have to figure out how to trim and reshape the case for the IO ports.

Should be a fun ride! :D

edit:
Regarding the placement of the SD card: I plan to add an access point either on the lid or the bottom of the case so that i can remove the sd card when needed. I don't really want to resolder the connector to somewhere on the case! :O